PDA

View Full Version : 70 javelin dash

CloudyB
04-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Well here we go. was wondering does anyone have a step by step procedure in taking the dash apart so I can get to the instrument closter? i have the technical service manual
but doesn't really get into it that much. I figure I'd get with you guys .like to know the do's and dont's so I don't wreck it and break something and I can get it back together.(there probably brittle)
i thank you guys and gals for your time.

javelinjeff
04-28-2007, 02:37 AM
help will be arriving soon,know a guy thats got a 70 and i'll call him(former member of san diego club) and i'll then post it to you.really surprised nobody replying on this one!!!!!!

CloudyB
04-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Thanks Jeff.I just don't want to break anything doing it the wrong way.
Your still my #1 go to guy for my Gremlin,I mean Jav.lol.lol.

javelinjeff
04-28-2007, 09:30 AM
i'm tellin ya,that 70 needs to BE IN MY GARAGE!!!. got to run a trailer down and get another for Lake Havasu, i'll call Tom today and see if he has had his 70 dash apart. of course you could always try using a big hammer and a prybar(lol)

javelinjeff
04-28-2007, 06:44 PM
still working on that dash teardown issue,sent a request out to all the members of SOCAL/AMX begging for help,let you know what comes back.don't break out the jackhammer just yet!!!

CloudyB
04-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks Jeff. Thanks for going that extra mile for me. Went to a car show yesterday 30 miles west of me one way.About 100 cars.Got there .There was 2 oak trees sitting in an area as big as a football field.No where to get out of the sun.87 degrees, don't know what the heat index was.
Long story short:::: Car is going to be parked in the ac garage for awhile.lol.lol.
Had to bribe the kids with Dairy Queen ice cream to go to the show.lol.lol.
I owe them alot.They beared through it.

javelinjeff
04-29-2007, 05:52 PM
ok here you go,its gonna be fun--trust me(old sales line).along the top of the overlay trim there should be screws,and along the bottom there should also be screws.also above your radio pod there are screws there too.you may have to remove the radio pod to get access to these(it's held on by screws also).also advised to loosen steering column bolts under dash to allow room to get the overlay out without breaking it.since the overlay is a big flat panel that goes from the headlight/wiper switches all the way over to the glove box,expect to remove quite a few screws(HAVE I GOT YOU ALL SCREWED UP YET?).once ALL retaining screws are out the WHOLE PANEL comes off.key thing here is--lower steering column by loosening bolts or removing them and look for hold down screws above radio pod that may require the radio pod to be removed.last but not least-----make sure there are no hidden screws that you missed before you go pulling away at the overlay.you may need a right angle phillips (looks like a allen wrench) to get at some of the screws.let me know what you see when you start looking at it(by the way lost your phone #)

javelinjeff
04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
once you get the cover off,the instrument cluster is easy,remove the 4 screws holding it in place, pull it towards you far enough to unscrew the speedo cable from the back and GENTLY wiggle and pull the grey round plug from the back of the cluster(be extemely &%$#@#$ carefull as not to break the pins on the back of the cluster--VERY IMPORTANT!!!!).like i said,let me know what you see as you get into this one...

javelinjeff
04-29-2007, 07:12 PM
hate to scare you but i failed to tell you about the wipers and headlight switch,gotta pull the knob from the wiper switch(there should be a little release tab on the backside of the wiper knob) and to remove the headlight switch there is a release button on the backside of the switch(you'll have to reach under tthe dash and press it as you pull out on the headlight knob(the shaft will come out with the knob.DISCONNECT BATTERY as you will have turned on the headlights when you do this.are you scared yet???

CloudyB
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Your AWESOME Jeff. I thank you for your time and hard effort. I'll probably be removing it in about a week.You'll be hearing from me I'm sure.lol.lol.But not too early.lol. (I hope your laughing).I'm going to print this page out . Thanks for the step by step.
Heck I should probably put your name on the title.
Heck you helped me tear this whole car up and put her back together again.