PDA

View Full Version : American Motors Logo

CloudyB
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I want to replace the Logo that is between the back window and trunk lid. Mine is faded and I have a another one. I've been told to use a blow dryer to remove the old one. Anyone have any experience removing the logo so as not to wreck the paint?
Thank you for any help.

304_dude
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi,

A blow dryer will not help on old gum stickem... I just went a head an was able to pop off the old thing with my fingers because it was pitted out and the body was going to the body shop. The gum stuck to the paint not the emblem. Did not care and sent it off.

Now for new or well taken care of emblems I recommend this:

What you need to do is use a old credit card or plastic knife and carefully lift at the corner of the emblem while applying Goof Off (any citrus oil based) gum and tar remover. You will need to do the top two corners back and forth. Since you may use most of the bottle on this you may want to place a towel under the emblem. Once you have done the top corners a few times try the bottom corners while applying Goof Off from the top and letting it run down. To assist the bottom areas you want to dam up the lower section below the emblem so the stuff can seep up into the cracks if you will.

While doing this, do not slide the plastic in a cutting motion as to get deeper under the emblem.

Once you are able to get your finger nail under it continue with your application of Goof Off while lifting with your finger nail.

I may take about 30 minutes to an hour depending on how careful you are.

CloudyB
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Appreciate it 304 dude.The paint on my car is show Quality.Won't goof off damage the paint?

304_dude
05-17-2007, 05:40 AM
The only thing I notice about it is that depending on the wax you use or not, it will lift it causing you to rewax again ( I guess that would be normal according to what this stuff removes).

Sorry I got the name wrong... Goo Gone, "Goof Off" is by valspar (have it in the garage thats why it came to mind) the "Goo Gone" is what I should have recomended.

It is citrus oil based and is not a harsh solvent though it works very well. You can always read the label (can be found just about anywhere). It says it is virtually safe on all surfaces. I have used it on a lot of things and always had good results.

CloudyB
05-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Ok I gotcha now.Goo Gone. I appreciate it.. I'll give it a shot.Thanks.

CloudyB
05-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Theres a product I found out called 3812 Reducer made by Dupont that will not wreck the paint and easily remove glue only.Just in case anyone else needs this info.