PDA

View Full Version : Oil and water pump problems.

Javelin360
05-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Well I'm finally getting the engine buttoned up on my Javelin and I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

I bought a new water pump and timing chain cover with new oil pump including internals. I installed the timing cover and forgot to put on the oil slinger on the crank and had to pull cover off to put in on. I bolt the water pump on. I then start installing the dampner but the water pump casting is oversized and won't allow the dampner to go on. I dig out the disc grinder and grind the offending areas until I have the proper dampner clearance.

Next I test fit the oil pump gears. The main drive gear fits correctly and the idler slides on but binds up. I pull the gear and notice burrs. I remove the burrs. The gear still binds so I get out some bluing and determine that three of the gear teeth are hitting the pump wall. I carefully dress the teeth with 800 grit sand paper and continue test fitting until the gear no longer binds.

I go pull the filter stud from the old oil pump cover and notice that it is not the same as the new one. The new pump cap has one less hole. I intall the plunger, spring and filter stud in the cover, put in the pump gears and button up the oil pump. I try to pre oil the engine but don't seem to be able to build any pressure. I filled the oil filter with oil but still can't get oil pumping.

I then notice that there is a pinhole leak in the pump cover. I'm going to call the shop I got the parts from but this was part of a larger kit and it has been well over 30 days so I'm probably screwed. I'm going to install the old pump cover and see it it changes anything. :(

Javelin360
05-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Well first thing this morning I start with a fresh attitude.

I cleaned up the old pump cover, installed the new bypass valve spring and installed the old parts that couldn't be installed in the new cover. I bolted everything up, installed a small pressure gauge in the appropriate boss and to many shouts of joy on my part spun the pump and observe close to 60psi. I am very very pleased. :)

Now to get the motor back in the car. :D

javelinjeff
05-20-2007, 11:36 AM
good to hear,was the problem in that "replacement" timing cover?and since you live nearby,,,are you gonna make the show @ irwindale speedway hosted by the SOCAL/AMX on 6-2-07?

Javelin360
05-20-2007, 08:05 PM
good to hear,was the problem in that "replacement" timing cover?and since you live nearby,,,are you gonna make the show @ irwindale speedway hosted by the SOCAL/AMX on 6-2-07?

The new timing chain cover stayed on the motor it seemed okay. The cover that the oil filter spins onto was the culprit. It had a hole in it and was missing a passage. I cleaned up the old piece and installed it and everything worked okay.

I won't make Irwindale. The entire front clip is removed from the car so I can replace all bushings and detail everything. I'm shooting to have the car ready for Hot August Nights.