PDA

View Full Version : crooked t5

blurat
06-20-2007, 08:05 PM
OK, I put my motor and trans in last weekend and just got the trans mount and adapted the cross member to fit the mount.
Problem: The front of the engine is straight, eyeball to the firewall, rad upper mount, and the side mounts are all even. The trans mount is at a 10 degree angle, it is about half inch higher on the driver side. When I lower the jack it rests on the passenger side of the trans mount. If I put a jack stand at all 4 corners of the unibody the frame hits all 4.
I am using a jeep bell housing from a cj that ran a t5.
My frame does not appear to be bent, the car tracked with hands off the wheel seemingly forever on the freeway before i removed the 390 and t10.
I am going to have to shim the trans mount but if anyone has any observations about this situation I would appreciate the input.
Thanks
B

javelinjeff
06-23-2007, 12:08 PM
i've read that the t-5 is tilted at an angle as part of it's design.you probably have to modify the trans mount but i could be wrong.check with Tony @ California Classic AMC as i think he has put t-5's in javelins and he may be able to help

blurat
06-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks JJ, I took Friday off and went to Reno to forget about it. Got back with a fresh set of brains and measured for half hour. The car is straight, the engine and bell are straight, and when you lokk via line of sight from the rear, the whole trans is tilted about 15 degrees. No problem as long as I know what I'm dealing with.
thanks again for the semi confirmation

PS, was gonna upload some pics but my files are too big, by about 200