PDA

View Full Version : New Zealander just brought a 1980 Spirit!

Buck27nz
07-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Guys,
i just brought a AMC Spirit 258cu inch as my first midlife crisis car, i know its not an AMX or Javelin but its an American Sporty coupe. I've been wanting a US car for a while, I've always liked Javelins and Avantis, Javelins go for about $20,000 here and 60s/70s US cars are hot property. We got some of the Rambler Classics here (they start around $6,000) Still i picked up this baby very cheap with a reconitioned gearbox. It needs a new windscreen and new brake seals. Where can I get these from? Is it worth trying my local Chrysler agent? They've sold jeeps here for a few years, Are any parts common besides the engine?
Many thanks
Buck
(thrilled to be an AMC owner)

Big Bad AMX
07-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Welcome to AMC and to the forum Buck!
I'm not sure what you have in NZ as far as parts suppliers but the brake parts are readily available at auto stores (Napa, Checker, Advance Auto) in the U.S. - Rotors, calipers, pads, seals, master cylinder etc. A local auto store should be able to order them for you.

I have no suggestions for the windshield but they are available, here they run about $160-$185.00.

The engine has some parts that'll interchange and the transmission is a Chrysler 904 (if it's an automatic) so those parts are easy to obtain.

Buck27nz
07-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll try their mail order sites. The car gets delivered next monday (coming by ship from the North Island we live in the south) Doesn't seem to be the Orphan I once supposed. Still I do anything till I find out what it needs. Can't wait!
Cheers Buck

cali201
07-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey, mate,

If you go to www.threejeffsamc.com

you will see one of those guys restoring his '79 spirit. Jeff Reeves is the tech advisor to the American Motors Owners Association and the one who is restoring the spirit. He may be able to help you with some questions you may have. Good luck with your new ride.

Buck27nz
07-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the link, Very helpful, Great little car. I like his lourves. I checked out the Napa, Checker and, & Advance Auto. Great prices! Cheap as chips! Unfortunately they don't ship internationally yet. Damn!
Still I've found Auto Parts Fair and Parts Train do, but don't have quite the range.

Big Bad AMX
07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Can a local auto parts store order the parts you need for you?