PDA

View Full Version : Me again with a carpet installation question

blurat
07-03-2007, 07:53 PM
What the heck is going on here? My rear piece between the trunk and pass compartment seems too large and has a curved top edge that hits the window. Are the wheel well pieces installed first? Do I have to cut to form? Im lost, thought it said moulded ready for installation.
Maybe it was MOULDY, now im not sure.
My wheel pieces are sewn together, 2 piece, but I would have better luck if I ripped them apart and just glued them to the wheelhouse. This is frustrating.
Maybe I should just grow some chia pet wheelhouse stuff and then paint it black.
Carpet is auto custom carpet inc.
Anyone got an idea how to install this carpet?
THANKS b

Big Bad AMX
07-04-2007, 10:33 AM
The only carpet kits I've bought were from AMX Enterprises. Two for autos and one for a four-speed. The only mods needed were the seat and seat belt bolt holes had to be cut and the shifter needed a hole cut. And I think the '70 AMX needed a light trim under one door sill plate. They were/are contour sewn rather than moulded. Each came with install directions and 3M Spray Adhesive. So your situation sounds like it's not the easy install it could/should be. It's been awhile since I put one in but if I remember right the wheel housing pieces are first, then the rear floor area, then the front. The piece under the rear window is last. Each area gets a coat of adhesive. It took about three hours from start to finish. It helped to lay the carpet in the sun to warm it up for flexibility.

The Chia Pet stuff is nice but you'd have to mow it. :)

Javelin360
07-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I got carpet from AMX Enterprises about a year ago. It was sewn but didn't fit in my car real well. I ended up recutting, fitting and sewing it to fit my car. I would rather rect and sew that try to install the preformed stuff as it never seems to be formed correctly.