PDA

View Full Version : New Amx owner here.........

fenceman
01-08-2005, 03:50 PM
New Amx owner here.........thought id check in,as i will be needing some experienced guidance... :) The car:'69 AMX 4spd originally 390 car,now with modified 343........i cant wait... ;)

donsjave
01-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Welcome on board. Hope that you will find the information you need and want in the restoration of another fine AMX/AMC.

fenceman
01-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks.Kinda excited to have my own piece of Americana now.Now comes the paint decision.The body is a strong 9+ and original color was Bittersweet,but i cant make myself like it no matter how hard i look at it.. :( Im thinking BBG or Orange.Just another thing to mentally debate. :D

Big Bad AMX
01-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for stopping in and welcome to the AMC family!
If you're thinking of changing the color of your AMX you may want to check out the 112 AMXs currently listed under the Visitor's AMXs (http://www.amx-perience.com/xperienceamx15.htm) pages for ideas.

donsjave
01-09-2005, 05:42 PM
After getting my 71 Javelin many years ago, I was debating within my own mind if I wanted to change the color of the car. When I had the body work and paint done about 4 years ago, I ended up sticking with the original color. The color is Mustard Yellow with the black vinyl inserts in the roof. It took me 10 years to warm up to the color. I found that of all of the Javelins/AMX's in the Denver metropolition area, mine is kind of unique (there is one other 71 painted the same color). I like the contrast that the black gives the car and I went ahead and had a black T stripe painted on the hood. It gives the car it's look as being somewhat unusual. I have recieved more compliments because I stuck with the color it was when it came out of the factory. Just some food for thought.

fenceman
01-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks for stopping in and welcome to the AMC family!
If you're thinking of changing the color of your AMX you may want to check out the 112 AMXs currently listed under the Visitor's AMXs (http://www.amx-perience.com/xperienceamx15.htm) pages for ideas.Thanks BBA.I did check out the plethora of colors on the visitors page,thus the current quandry.The BB colors are hard to pass.Time will tell.

fenceman
01-09-2005, 06:47 PM
After getting my 71 Javelin many years ago, I was debating within my own mind if I wanted to change the color of the car. When I had the body work and paint done about 4 years ago, I ended up sticking with the original color. The color is Mustard Yellow with the black vinyl inserts in the roof. It took me 10 years to warm up to the color. I found that of all of the Javelins/AMX's in the Denver metropolition area, mine is kind of unique (there is one other 71 painted the same color). I like the contrast that the black gives the car and I went ahead and had a black T stripe painted on the hood. It gives the car it's look as being somewhat unusual. I have recieved more compliments because I stuck with the color it was when it came out of the factory. Just some food for thought.Point taken Don.Those BBcolors just seem to define muscle-car imho.Thanks again.Mark.

fenceman
01-09-2005, 06:49 PM
BTW,anyone in Nor-Cal that wants to talk AMX up close and personal,im all ears... ;)

cudaboy
01-10-2005, 10:48 AM
If it were my car, I would think twice.That Bittersweet Orange has to be one of the nicest colours for the AMX. I wish mine was BS.
However, its your car and your choice. Good luck no matter what you do. :rolleyes:

fenceman
01-16-2005, 06:50 PM
What color do you have cudaboy?

Big Bad AMX
01-19-2005, 11:20 PM
If it were my car, I would think twice.That Bittersweet Orange has to be one of the nicest colours for the AMX. I wish mine was BS.
However, its your car and your choice. Good luck no matter what you do. :rolleyes: I agree cudaboy, the Bittersweet Orange is a good looking color. Color preference being a personal thing and all but they are worth more in their original color, if you ever sell. And if you ever show it the AMX on the sales brochure is Bittersweet Orange which makes for a nice display.

I've had people tell me Big Bad Green is the hottest color they ever put on an AMX. And others have asked how I could drive something so darn ugly. I like it, and that's all that matters.............

Jimmy
03-16-2005, 10:05 PM
change the color if you want.Just try to keep it AMC color code saw a 70 in pulm crazy purple looked horrible.

Randy
03-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I have a Calcutta Russette 1968.and am having it painted the same color..do yourself a favor.stay the same.it was not a BB color when it was made..although its your car...Randy

MY69AMX
03-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Just thought I would add my two cents and make my first post . I have a bittersweet orange 69AMX just like in the brocher picture. I had the car only three years when I had a dumb *** attact and painted it a cad color almost the same but it had large metal flakes in it.I thought it was kool for about a month, then I realized what a uniqe color BitterSweetOrange is, In different lighting situations it will look orange, tan, brown, gold, copper,or have a purple cast to it. Something I have only seen in Pearlesent colors.I had taken my stripes off which accents it. (dumb) Besides costing more because of being more labor intensive to change colors right it will lower your resale value.
But maybe you are like me and plan to keep the car forever , in that case go ahead ,while keeping in mind it will never be looked at in the same light as a real AMX of value.

Hope this contributes to you making the right decision.

I'am putting mine back to original BitterSweetOrange,but dechromeing my SS Cragers and bumpers to make mine a BBBsO AMX LOL. Lot of work getting the old**** off and down to metal again. The one thing I will do this time is to use an Epoxy Primer after etching bare metal.
Good Luck

fenceman
03-25-2005, 11:48 AM
All good points to poder.Oddly enough i find im starting to like the Bittersweet. :)

RGBJavelin
05-28-2005, 02:05 PM
this might be a little late in the game, but I hope you decided to stay with the bittersweet! I also think it is one of the nicest stock colors out there. The guy I consider my AMC "Yoda", mentioned that perticular color about 20 years ago to me as his desired color for the AMX, so I guess I am little bias. I wish my 70 Javelin was Bittersweet, It was originally a green metallic (harvest green?) ,but someone changed it to a nice red, unfortunately they did a lousy job, (taped off everything instead of removing, even the marker lights! arrgh! :eek: ). I guess I have to redo it right, with da Bitter Sweet!
Too many cars have been Big Bad color changed, They make a statement, but class is far better than loud, in my opinion. whatever your choice, enjoy! (big bad blue with the shadow mask?, hmmmm?) :rolleyes: