PDA

View Full Version : 68 Jav sending unit/ gas gauge questions

banshee
07-22-2007, 09:30 PM
My gas guage quit working awhile back. I turn on the ignition, and the needle move up to E, but doesnt go any higher. I've pulled the unit out and checked it for bad float, loose wires, etc. Everything looks ok, except the arm of the unit that rest against the wound wire to register the float position. There is a small hole in the center/forward edge of it: does a contact go there?? I stuck a test light to it and it does pulse. So, I'm at a loss. The gauge does move from below E but doesnt go past E, It's appearing to get power to the sending unit - but I want to make sure that it is the unit gone bad before I spend $100 on one. Any help guys :(

Big Bad AMX
07-23-2007, 09:22 PM
If you haven't seen Tony Zamisch's tech tips page on a fuel gauge troubleshoot and fix you may find it useful. Here's the link (once there scroll down to the bottom of the page):
http://www.amx-perience.com/TonysTechTips.htm

banshee
07-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the link.
The gauge works and after asking around on what it could be, I figured out that the brass connectot that rides against the stator on the sending unit had finially worn down to the point that it broke off ( I remember seeing the hole in the arm of the float bar and figured something went there, but didnt know for sure) So I pulled the sending unit out, fired up the lathe and turned me a new brass connector for float arm. Works perfect!
I'd called around to see if I could find a new one, but no one has one in stock ( except for one place that has just one, but he was wanting $150 for it, not including filter, float, etc... ) So, 10 minutes of work saved me atleast 100 bucks :) not a bad trade in my opinion

CloudyB
07-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Great Job Banshee.Way to save a buck.