PDA

View Full Version : factory tach in a 232

banshee
08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm installing a factory tachometer in my 68 SST 232 car - but was told that AMC used a tach built for the inline 6's that won't work in a V8 car and vise versa. Anyone know about this??

javelinjeff
08-19-2007, 05:07 PM
never heard of a tach being available on the six,i used a jeep tach thet fit in the clock hole on one years back.look at the back of the tach and see if it MAYBE has 6CYL inked on the back.

banshee
08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't see any kind of stamping/stenciling on the back. So it does have to be cylinder-specific tach to work ( meaning: that a factory tach won't work in a six cylinder car if it came from a V8 or other way around )
Thanks for the help!!

Big Bad AMX
08-19-2007, 09:34 PM
They have to be the same; A V-8 tach won't work on a six, or vice-versa. Though some aftermarket tachs have a switch to select 6 or 8 cyl.

The AMC Tachs were made by Faria in Unkasville, Conn. (not sure if the spelling is correct) and they made a tach for the 6 cyl Javelins that looked like the factory tachs but without an AMC logo. These were sold through JC Whitney for a few years. I don't know if the company is still around and chances of finding one of their 6cyl tachs is probably pretty slim. But you may be able to have your tach modified/rebuilt for your 6 cyl. application by Instrument Services or a similar company.