PDA

View Full Version : 68 Javelin tranny help

7TZ
08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi all. First off, this is my first post here so be kind. I'm working on getting a 68 Javelin running, here are the specs. 232 ci, 3 spd. manual column thats been moved to the floor, I'm assuming its a T-14. I have a 1972 304 from a Jeepster that I want to put in. My question, can I use the T-14 bellhousing thats already in the car with the 304, since I want to keep the 3 spd. in the car. I'm guessing no because the starter on the 304 is on the opposite side of the 232. Ok so, can a '68 232 T-14 bellhousing work on a '72 304? Thanks, and you will probably be hearing alot more from me. By the way I haven't removed the 232 yet, thats why I dont know for sure. Mark.

javelinjeff
08-25-2007, 02:40 AM
ok, first thing you have to do is get another(v-8) engine crossmember,the 304 will NOT bolt into your frame-(one of AMC's truly stupid mistakes-different frame cross members for sixes and v-8's).also you will need to change rear ends as the six uses a smaller gear(model 15-six,model 20-V-8).also you will need to check the depth of the bellhousing since the six used a shallower bell housing than the V-8's,although i'm not sure on that jeepster application.the t-14 will be ok as long as you don't get too rough on it,but a t-10 4 speed(needs V-8 4speed bellhousing) is by far stronger.and since your changing all that other stuff,the driveshaft may need to be modified.let alone the suspension that is not made for the V-8.unlike a Chevrolet,AMC used completely different components on the sixes and V-8's,,,a very BIG mistake in my honest opinion,kinda means gutting the whole car just to do a V-8 swap!!---thats why my 6 cyl car is FOR SALE!

7TZ
08-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I have the V8 crossmember ready to go. Didn't realize I needed to change rear ends, think I can get away with the 15, as long as I take it easy, at least for awhile? What I was hoping to find out is if the T-14 will bolt up to the 304, do the bolts align, not whether it can take the power. It turns out that I got ahold of a good 4 speed bellhousing, so I might go with the T-10. I'm not going to learn anything until I get into the engine compartment, which will begin next week. Thanks, Mark.

javelinjeff
08-27-2007, 02:08 PM
well since you have the 4 speed V-8 bellhousing,go with the t-10,it will be worth it.that model 15 rear might hold up untill your right foot overides your brain.some of the later cars i've heard used the t-14 behind the 304 using the shallow belhousing(originally for the sixes).also the early sixes had a slightly different bolt pattern on the block,this was changed on the 72-up sixes that shared starter location with the V-8's.as i was going to do the same to my car,i sold it instead as my business keeps me from having much time to do major car projects.i assume if i get another one it will be already done,something i can just polish and enjoy.

7TZ
08-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Only problem is finding a T-10. So far everybody wants an arm and a leg. And the other leg.