Hybrid View

Default Newbie Questions re. '68 Models

Apologies if the answers are archived; first time around this forum and potential first-time AMX buyer.

- Could a '68 AMX come with a red stripe (e.g. white with red stripes; or must they be black for the white cars)?

- How "rare" are the production units numbered under 250? Of course, I am relying on the dash plaque number, but I am assuming that the VIN/sequential number while not the same as the plaque, should be low. Yes?

- Leather not available on '68 models - correct?

- Could one put the center stack wood applique onto the '68 dash area (although not original)?

- What was a standard axle ratio for a 390 4-sd Go-Pack car?

That's it for now. Many thanks, in advance.

PE

Black and white are the stripes for 68. Std. axle ratio for 390 4sp I think is 3.54.

numbers under 250 are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Peden0132
    Apologies if the answers are archived; first time around this forum and potential first-time AMX buyer.
    Welcome to the Forum!

- Could a '68 AMX come with a red stripe (e.g. white with red stripes; or must they be black for the white cars)?
    As stated Black and White stripes were available in '68 with Go-Pack. Red stripes in '69. Or, Go-Pack cars could be ordered stripe delete.

- How "rare" are the production units numbered under 250? Of course, I am relying on the dash plaque number, but I am assuming that the VIN/sequential number while not the same as the plaque, should be low. Yes?
    Rare but they are not tied to the VIN, they can be easily changed.

- Leather not available on '68 models - correct?
    Correct. '69 was the first year for leather.

- Could one put the center stack wood applique onto the '68 dash area (although not original)?
    Yes, in all of about 60 seconds.

- What was a standard axle ratio for a 390 4-sd Go-Pack car?
    As bigbad68 stated; a 3:54 ratio is standard with a 4-speed.

That's it for now. Many thanks, in advance.

PE
    You're welcome, that's what we're here for!

Default Thanks, Good Forum, Another Question(s)...

Fast and informative responses - most appreciated.

- In '68 I know that there should be a welded VIN tag on the right front fender. However, should I also see a stamped VIN on the left inner wheelwell i.e. near the driver-side shock tower?

- Any other locations on the body for VIN stamping?

- Side pipes in '68: Available as a dealer-installed option?

Coming from years of mopar ownership, hence the obsession with VIN/Codes, etc....!

Thanks.

PE

Trendsetters (sidepipes) are a 1969 and up dealer installed option, but some have said that owners of 68 cars did go back to the dealers for them.

VIN number also on the frame rail behind the steering box.

Default More answers

Fast and informative responses - most appreciated.

- In '68 I know that there should be a welded VIN tag on the right front fender. However, should I also see a stamped VIN on the left inner wheelwell i.e. near the driver-side shock tower?

- Any other locations on the body for VIN stamping?

Coming from years of mopar ownership, hence the obsession with VIN/Codes, etc....!

Thanks.

PE
    The vin for 68 was on the right front fender and there should be a stamping of the last 6 digets in behind the steering box on the left side (driverside).
    There were suppose to be vin stampings on various other places on the vehicle itself. These areas were always rotated between cars and were not on a consistent basis. The reason for the various locations was to deter theives from stealing the car and try to chop the parts and put them onto another vehicle.
    As far as sidepipes are concern I believe that they were dealer install option for all 3 years of the AMX and were made by Trendsetters (I believe the name of the company was Traco and the product name was Trendsetters).
    Coming from a Mopar where they were by far more meticulious about numbers matching, AMC was not all that concern about it. AMC's vin number was about it. It called out the year, model, transmission type, engine CI and that was about it. The last 6 numbers of the serial number (vin) was sequestial numbers that for most people do not mean a whole lot.

Thanks.

PE
    donsjave covered the VIN questions but to expand a bit on the Trendsetter sidepipes; yes they were an AMC factory approved dealer option in 1968. I have an original ad and install illustration in a .pdf file here: http://www.amx-perience.com/Sidewinders.pdf
    They were called Trend Setter Sidewinder Sidepipes. They were manufactured by Taddco. Nice reproductions are available for the AMX and Javelin.

Default Trendsetter Side Pipes in '68 - Okay

Good information, thanks. Okay, I will not feel bad about adding this to the otherwise stock car.

VIN, etc.: In a way the absence of engine VIN (more than displacement) and thus lower level of neurosis about matching numbers drivetrains is a welcome relief...