Thread: New User Tips

Default New User Tips

If there is something that these tips do not answer, please check the FAQ link or post a question and we'll see if anyone can help you out.

Q: How do I get a picture next to my name/profile?

A: Those are called "avatars". Avatars are small graphical images that you may choose in your profile. They are displayed by your username on all posts that you make. You can select the image that best shows your car or describes yourself from your profile options. It's easy, login and then click on the "User CP" link.
    One the left side click on "Edit Avatar".
    Select one of the pre-set pictures (currently 18 but I'm working on more of them) or upload your own avatar. The image must be 80x80 or smaller.
    Click the round radio button under the picture you'd like to use.
    Scroll all the way down and click "Save Changes".
    That's all, you're done. ALL your posts will automatically be updated with
    your new Avatar.

Q: How can I get a photo shrunk to the correct size?

A: You can use any photo editor installed on your computer. If you are not sure how to use one, please contact me and I will assist you with shrinking your photo!

Q: How do I update my profile (location, etc).

A: Go back to the User CP (Control Panel), this time choose "update profile". Fill in the new information and then click submit.

Q: What's a signature and how do I get one in my posts?

A: After you have registered, you may set your signature. This is text (or picture) that you would like to be inserted at the end of all your posts, a little like having headed note paper.

You will have the option to include your signature on any posts you make. If you have specified a signature, then the forum will automatically put your signature on any messages you post. You can disable signatures on a per-post basis by un-ticking the 'Show Signature' checkbox when you compose your message.

You may turn the signature on and off on posts you have already made by editing the post and altering the state of the 'Show Signature' option. You can set your signature by editing your profile in the User CP.

Q: How do I get a picture in each of my posts?

A: That is a signature picture. You will need to post a picture in your signature using the IMG tag. Your picture will need to be posted online somewhere, then copy the URL. You will need to use the following format
    ( remove the ? ):

[?IMG]http://YourPicturesAddress.com/image.jpg[/IMG]

Sometimes the site will take a little while before it updates with your image. Keep trying. If you notice that your image is too big please take it down and resize it before re-posting it. Currently there are not any pre-assigned size limits on this board for the signature, but please keep your fellow posters and the moderators in mind. Advertising banners are not allowed!

Q: It says that I have included too many images in my post, what does that mean?

A: You can only use two smilies per post (except in the case of private messages) If you use more than two smilies or you have more images than that, the board will not let you post that message. Push the back button on your browser to return to/edit your post.

Q: How do I quote what someone has previously posted into my post without having to Copy & Paste the whole thing?

A: After each post there is a little button on the right side that says "quote" This will bring up the reply window with that post already quoted (giving credit to original poster) in it.

Q: How can I get the text over my avatar to say something other than "Junior Member" or "Senior Member"?

A: The text over the avatar is a "title". You have to reach a minimum number of posts to get beyond "Junior Member" (to Senior member) where you can change it. You can change it by going to your user CP, scrolling down to "Custom Title" in the user profile part of your options...

Q: How do I use the calendar?

A: The calendar holds either Events or Birthdays.
    There are two types of events on the calendar: normal events and recurring events.
    Normal Events span the time frame from when the event starts until the event ends. Such as a car show that's a one, two, or three-day event.
    Recurring Events repeat over a set period of time based on certain criteria. Examples would be an event that occurs on the first Monday of every month and an event that occurs every Monday and Wednesday, club meetings are a good example.
    Registered users may posts events to the calendar. Your birthday will automatically be shown on the calendar if you have entered the date of your birthday in your profile. Note: if you do not enter the year of your birth when you edit your profile, your age will not be shown on the calendar.
    If you enter your birthday or event, your name, or event, will also appear on the main forum page.

Q: How do I rate a thread?
    A: At the top of the post you will find a small menu on thread pages which allows you to 'Rate this Thread' with a number between 1-5.
    Casting a vote for threads you view is entirely optional, but if you think that the thread is superb, you might rate it as a 5-star thread, or if you think that it's pretty bad, you might choose to rate the thread with a single star.
    Once enough votes have been cast for the thread rating, you may see a set of stars appear with the title of the thread in the thread listings. These stars reflect the average vote cast, and can allow you to quickly see which threads are worth reading if you are on a very busy forum with a lot of threads.

Q: Why are some of my posts edited/censored?

A: The board has an auto-censor for certain words that I feel are unnecessary, derogatory or offensive. If you go around the censor, chances are I will catch it & change your post. Please be considerate of your fellow posters when you are typing your thoughts! It is understood that some discussions may get heated and you may feel argumentative but please remember, everyone is human & has feelings/fears--Do not personally attack someone for their beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, etc...If someone attacks you to the point you feel uncomfortable, feel free to report his or her post to the moderators by clicking the "report post" link at the bottom of the post.

Q: What is a "PM"?

A: A PM is a Private Message. You can turn this feature on or off in your user options in the User CP. Some people have their options set so that whenever they receive a new private message a box will pop up informing them of it & asking if they want to view it. Others will have a notification sent via email. Private messages are between you and another person (or people) To send a private message, you can either find a member's profile & choose the option to send a private message from there or go to your User CP, go to private messages, and send a message from there. There is a 1000 character limit to each message and a 60 second rule (only 1 message per minute can be sent).

Q: I have been getting emails from the website every time someone replies to a message that I started or that I have posted on. How can I get them to stop?

A: Go to User CP and your user options, check to make sure that your option of "Use 'Email Notification' by default?" is set to no.
    Also, if you have subscribed to the thread, whenever someone posts, you will receive an email saying "X replied to your subscribed message". If you do not want to receive these messages any longer you can unsubscribe from the message in your user CP.

If you have any questions I will post the responses in this topic.
    Last edited by Big Bad AMX; 01-24-2005 at 09:26 PM.