Default Trying out my hand at an AMX

Well, after over 10 years of owning Trans Ams exclusively, I am going to try my hand at something different. I just recently sold my 79 SE Trans Am project and once the guy pays me, I am going to be picking up a 74 AMX.

It is a good driver car with a built 401 and a 4-spd swap. Non-original drivetrain, so I can do whatever I want to with the car. I build pro-touring cars on the side, so I am thinking of making this a Trans Am replica (even though there were no 74s, right?) and having fun with it.

I currently have a 98 TA that I have built up to handle and I love it. Great car, currently planning on a T56 swap that I have in the shop. I am going to finish paying it off with the sale of my 79 SE and use the rest to buy the AMX.

I also have a 68 Camaro that I am building for my brother-in-law who is currently in Iraq. He has no idea we are doing it, so it is going to be a cool project. I have the car torn completely down right now, shooting for a May completion date. We've had donations and gifts from all over the country, it is a great project. If you want to see what we are doing, check out http://www.patriotdream.org for the pics and everything.

I'm sure I'll be asking a ton of questions about this AMX. I know nothing about AMC stuff and I have never even turned a wrench on one or even sat in one. All I know is the guy down the road had one when I was a kid and I loved it.

Welcome to the forum and to AMC Birdman!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your 'new' AMX, they've surprised many a Big 3 owner over the years - which is part of what makes them so much fun. Be aware that many new AMC owners don't realize that AMC's need to be built according to AMC specs. They will run very strong, reliably, and economically. Building one using Chevy specs will result in poor performance, short life and major dissappointment.

And yes, the last of the AMC factory sponsored T/A racing was in 1972. Others have made clones from '73 and '74 models though.

Great project and site you've got going for the Camaro, your brother-in-law is going to love it!

AMC's are a little different but are tons of fun. Browse around the forum and the site, ask questions and have fun!