Default Electrical issue, coil related...need help

Hello guru's of the AMC,

73 Javelin 304. I am in the putting back together mode and have encountered a problem. I think I have something wrong. Fried a set of points, I mean melted the plastic and smoke came from under the distributor cap! I also have no spark coming from distributor. I THINK I put the wires back the way they were, but not +. So, I have 2 wires on + side of the coil with one of them being the yellow going to the regulator and the other going to the distributor. There is one wire to the - side of the coil and it goes into the wiring harness and goes back to the firewall, it appears to be black or dark brown. Also, there seems to be a high drain on the battery. Any help???

Thanks,

Maxi Blue Mike

hey 74 amx 401 here. ive been having the same problem with battery drain as well. ive tried regrounding everything and making a new body ground straight fromt he battery but no such luck on solving the batery drain problem. my amp meter says 0 wihle driving but if i flick on the headlights its -20 and the alternator tested out fine. it tested as charging but i drove it for 12 hours from buffalo ny to clarksville tn and i ended up with a dead battery even though i had lights all the way here. highly confusing... i have one wire running undfer the distributor cap and its brown running off of the ignition block.

I don't have an answer for you but here's a webpage that has the 1973 AMC Technical Service Manual posted.

1973 AMC Technical Service Manual

Maybe that'll help?