Hybrid View

Thumbs down Dodge's 5.7 Hemi and its problems

Yea, I know, this is a AMC site but I just got to let someone know who is thinking of a Dodge truck. I got one a year ago (only 9200 miles on it) and it appears that Chrysler may have laid an egg with this engine. As most know, the Feds forced Chrysler to recall the Durango's for their defective ball joints, well consumers of their 1500,2500, and 3500 series pickups with the hemis may have a big problem on their hands. It would seem that the 5.7 hemi (03 and 04) have a minor oiling problem with the lifters. I have viewed a half a dozen sites that people are really get pissed off because of the lifter clatter that engines have at startup and several more cases of total collasped of the lifters themselves on warmed up engines. There has been some cases of total oil pump failure. I do have the same problem with mine, love the engine, hate the noise. Question lends itself to be asked---- Drive this thing like I stoled it or baby it???? Got the 7 year/70,000 mile warranty on it. As a side note: Chrysler claims that the lifter noise is normal upon startup and have no answer for the lifters collasping. Oil pump failure is fixed however. So next question, Is 5.7 hemi lifter noise normal? The new hemis have roller rockers and lifters (Hyradlic non adjustable) and Dodge does bring this feature out in their advertising. Wonder if the lemon law would apply here.

So I guess I won't need to ask "hey, that thing got a HEMI?" I'll just listen for the valve train noise.

Unhappy Lifter Noise

As a update, I have taken the truck in twice and was told that it is in my head. Not to say, I was not very kind to the service rep at the dealer. Also asked why the oil gauge never moves off the middle (even when the engine is turned off). No real answer there either, just seems that Chrysler just wants to pass it off as normal I guess. Not in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by donsjave
    As a update, I have taken the truck in twice and was told that it is in my head. Not to say, I was not very kind to the service rep at the dealer. Also asked why the oil gauge never moves off the middle (even when the engine is turned off). No real answer there either, just seems that Chrysler just wants to pass it off as normal I guess. Not in my book.
    Maybe Chrysler has too many customers (insert sarcasm) I think I'd be looking at a Ford or Chevy in the near future.

Default Yep

Never had any serious problems with GM as far as engine noises in concerned. Perhaps you are right, keep it a couple of years and beat the living daylights out of it. IF it gives up the ghost, then I can slap Chrysler with a "I told you so" attitude and put it where the sun does not shine

Chrysler was not gonna have a call back on the balls joints either EVEN after
    the news showed wheels under trucks. They said, it was not a safety issue.
    Finally the PR person for Chrysler suggested they call them back or loose lots
    of business.

My suggestion is to try and find that PR person and send letters to him/her.

I have a Dakota and love it! It *may* be my last Chrysler product..

Never had any serious problems with GM as far as engine noises in concerned. Perhaps you are right, keep it a couple of years and beat the living daylights out of it.
    a) GM's 3100/3400v6 has some lifter noise when cold sometimes, but its nothing serious.
    b) if it has a Hemi in it, I'd beat on it too, heck, isn't the original firedome/wedge/hemi designed for racing... essentially, beating the heck out of?

\Also asked why the oil gauge never moves off the middle (even when the engine is turned off). No real answer there either, just seems that Chrysler just wants to pass it off as normal I guess. Not in my book.
    if you turn the key to run without starting it it better indicate zero pressure.

It's not in your head. Assuming you only hear it at idle - The noise you hear is not lifter noise though. It is the solenoids that operate the engine cylinder deactivation system. When the engine has no or low load on it the cylinders are intermittently dropped out to save on fuel and the solenoids are what accomplishes the task. The The modern day Hemi engines are darn near bullet proof.