Default electrical woes...

I've just recently purchased a 74 401 amx. However, the wiring harness is chopped up, aftermarket ignition block (i believe) jumped wires directly to the alternator from battery, etc. that im having a hard time routing with the wiring diagram i found. is there anyone out there that has a clearly readable and easily traceable to reroute some of this stuff? Wires not connected, extra wires spliced in, old wires twisted and electrical taped with new wires (i fixed most of those thankfully)... i gues i just need someone with experience with rewiring to hook me up with some wisdom on these wiring harnesses... thanks in advance for any help.

I had the same problem, both my engine harness and dash harness were badly hacked. I could find no one that did a 74 harness. The harness differs for each year of Javelin from 71-74. At one point I did find an outfit that had an OEM underhood harness for 74 Javelins but I can not find the link at this time. You might do some web searching for reproduction harnesses as there is a possiblity that they are being produced now.

Your best bet is to rewire the whole car but it is not an easy job. I used an aftermarket harness because I likrd the idea of more circuits and modern fuses. I still haven't been able to get the NSS working properly but everything else works. I posted about the rewire here http://www.amx-perience.com/American...read.php?t=989
    Last edited by Javelin360; 08-09-2008 at 09:19 PM.
    Art

74 Javelin

thanks for that thread. i think i looked over it but not actually read the whole thing. like i said im new to this car as i am to this forum, and i know itll definitely be a project. ive got a switch undert the dash next to the left side of the steering wheel... its like a 3 set switch with off in the middle... what could this be? i know its factory because of the look of the switch but i dont know where it could possibly go to.

Quote Originally Posted by 74AMX
    thanks for that thread. i think i looked over it but not actually read the whole thing. like i said im new to this car as i am to this forum, and i know itll definitely be a project. ive got a switch undert the dash next to the left side of the steering wheel... its like a 3 set switch with off in the middle... what could this be? i know its factory because of the look of the switch but i dont know where it could possibly go to.
    It sounds like a rear window defroster switch. The defroster is located in the center of the rear package tray. It should be square and black in color if it is still in place. It will contain a small blower fan and a heating element. I have one in my car and it even works.
    Art

74 Javelin