Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

alright, all good stuff, but the vin still decodes as a javelin 360... figures... It just seems like a lot of effort to put into a jav to make it look like an amx, dont you think? spoiler, badges, grille, interior door panels, go pak, (i think the hurst shifter with pistol grip was also included with the amx package) and so forth... i know alot was done to it in the way of body work, it now sits as doo doo brown, whereas underneath that its the transam red. block is ford blue, and alot of edelbrock parts scattered throughout. when i pull the valve covers, they look like stock heads, but im not sure. is there anything thats a telltale sign of stock heads? if theyre not, im garaunteed theyre edelbrock performer series, but i just cant tell myself. i think i just need to get hold of the mechanic, who just seems really hard to get in touch with. figures on that too, right?

p.s. a4m797n

Quote Originally Posted by 74AMX
    alright, all good stuff, but the vin still decodes as a javelin 360... figures... It just seems like a lot of effort to put into a jav to make it look like an amx, dont you think? spoiler, badges, grille, interior door panels, go pak, (i think the hurst shifter with pistol grip was also included with the amx package) and so forth... i know alot was done to it in the way of body work, it now sits as doo doo brown, whereas underneath that its the transam red. block is ford blue, and alot of edelbrock parts scattered throughout. when i pull the valve covers, they look like stock heads, but im not sure. is there anything thats a telltale sign of stock heads? if theyre not, im garaunteed theyre edelbrock performer series, but i just cant tell myself. i think i just need to get hold of the mechanic, who just seems really hard to get in touch with. figures on that too, right?

p.s. a4m797n
    74 AMX cars with autos had the same floor shifer as a standard Javelin with a floor shifter. I'm not sure about the cars with 4 speeds as all 4 Javelin/AMX cars I've owend have had auto trans.

It really isnt that much work to add the AMX stuff. The grill is a direct bolt on and the door inserts are all that need to be changed, not the whole panel. The front spoiler bolts directly on and the whale tail just requires a few holes in the deck lid. The Go-Pac goes right in and all you need to do is wire it up. The Shaker hood bolts right on. About all that is left after that is to pull the Javelin scripts and replace them with AMX emblems.

It is not uncommon to find clones. It helps for know the VIN coding before you purchase. When I bought my 74 AMX I didn't pay enough attention and later found that someone had installed a 343 to replace the 401.

I can't help with the head question but I do know that Edelbrock did make a lot of aftermarket parts for our cars. I have an old Edelbrock AMC Tourqer intake a from a 68 AMX that used to run in my area. I also have the 390 block from the car. Sadly the body was totaled in a rollover accident.

You have almost the same car I have. You have the manual tranny and I have the auto. Is your car an SST?
    Last edited by Javelin360; 09-13-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    Art

74 Javelin

lol, not to my knowledge. everything to me looks like just a 360 javelin with the 4 on the floor. i couldnt really tell you much about anything else because this is the first time ive actually seen a javelin and its the first time ive dealt with one to own or tinker with. other varieties of cars i have knowledge for days, especially after fuel injection came into cars, but carbs are still a little grey area to me. I guess the long and short is, no idea if its an sst. i would imagine no, but i have no idea what to even look for on that either to know yes or no.