Hybrid View

Default So... Now more help for a V-8 Newbie

So I think I've mentioned before how I'm having some serious running issues, rough idle, no power, etc. Well I've gotten down to what I THINK could be the problem. Now mind you, I'm a new guy around V-8's, so all of this is somewhat new to me, however working on cars is not new.

Now the problem I've gotten to is this: the previous owner didn't know anything about cars. He knew where to put gas and he was set. However, it stopped running on him because he stopped driving it. Obviously. He then took it to a shop who 'rebuilt' it.... I'd post pictures but I don't know how to. Either way, long story short, it's not rebuilt. Maybe some internals were upgraded, such as double roller timing chain, edelbrock intake mani and 4 barrel carb.

As I stated before, I have rough idle, almost as if there's a cam, but worse, and not a 'steady rough idle' if that makes sense. I tore apart the front end to get to the timing chain and here's my dilemma. I'm checking time, and I noticed that the timing mark on the cam sproket is at the TOP, and the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is also on the TOP. I've been using the 73 TSM online as a reference, but I can't depict the pictures because they're too small and I can't blow them up.

If I'm correct, this is 180 deg. off on the cam timing. This could be a serious fixer if this is in fact, the issue. Also, let's say I were to set the crank on TDC, take off the timing chain, replace the sprocket retainer bolt on the cam, and crank just the cam, would this get my timing correct? I can't think of a problem with this, other than valve clearance on 1 and 6 cylinder. Which if that's the case, I can set it off 45 deg and time it to there or something. I hope I'm not being confusing, because it all makes sense to me, but I need some veteran help on this one. I'd really like to stay as far OUT of the engine as possible at least for now to tackle this issue, but if it's inevitable then so be it. (I forget what bolts go to, lol. I have it covered for now though.)

nevermind. thanks for the responses. i take it this forum isnt much into the 'helping' thing. thanks to big bad amx for tips and advice, and anyone else who answered my questions.

edit: also javelin 360 for straightening out what model i have.

Sorry you did not receive a reply to your question. It's certainly not a question of a willingness to help by the members. Not all members can answer every question and those that can may or may not have seen your post. I haven't spent as much time as I should answering posts, not because I don't want to but I just haven't had the time. So far this year I've had my AMX out just once, I'd like to enjoy it more but it's a hobby, not a priority so the car just sits waiting to be driven. And time has been taken from the forum as well.

As for the timing mark on the cam - it should be at 6 O'clock, the crank at 12 O'clock. Within 1/2" across from each. So it sounds like it's 180-out. And spinning just the cam should work fine. But it could be other things as well, a vacuum leak can cause a rough idle and make it feel like it has a lope. Check lines, intake and carb for leaks. You can do that with carb cleaner, spray at suspected area and if the idle speed increases you've found the leak. Just be VERY careful spraying around hot surfaces or sparks - the stuff can ignite and start a fire.

well i spun it and got it all back together. i also found a cap on the pcv valve port on the carb was cracked causing a leak. i think im still missing on one or two cylinders. i bought new spark plugs to replace the new ones i bought a month ago because apparently they can be bad out of the box. i have new wires too, but its still persistently the same problem. maybe i need to step up in type of plug to get a better product, i dont know.

about the other stuff, i wasn't trying to be really rude to anyone on here, i do appreciate the help i get when i get it, but im sure that when you were rebuilding yours, you had alot of questions, unless you grew up with amx's, which i haven't. i think i've said it before, when it comes to fuel injection or half the cylinders, i'm golden, but v-8's and carbureated engines are a little shadier to me. plus in my limited workspace, i cant just hoist the engine out and rebuild it on a rack (which would be nice).

I apologize for sounding rude though, i was probably (i dont remember off-hand other than it was in-between work and smoke breaks) in the middle of trying to get things to work, and getting frustrated with all the problems i've encountered from this infamous engine shop the previous owner went to.

again, thank you for the info, i did spin it and reassembled everything to find it didnt start. i spun the alternator 180 out. didnt work. 90 out. nothing. another 90 out, nothing again, 45? nope... i tore it down again, looked at it REAL hard, and then put it back together (didnt do anything in terms of adjustment, mind you) and it fired right up like a freakin charm. carb still bogged, stuttered, surged (i dont know how to explain it, and i dont think the carb guys do either)on off-idle cruise to find that that is usually caused by vacuum leaks. found the leak after tearing apart the carb and noticed the floats were low ALSO... torn gasket, dry-rotted vacuum cap, low floats, fouled spark plugs, possibly bad wires, poorly tuned carb (no vacuum gauge, pressure guage, or dwell meter) and no timing light tells me i have alot of crap to buy, borrow, or rent to get this thing running at full potential.

also, in reference to thanking you in previous post, i was talking about the other post with my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 74AMX
    about the other stuff, i wasn't trying to be really rude to anyone on here, i do appreciate the help i get when i get it, but im sure that when you were rebuilding yours, you had alot of questions, unless you grew up with amx's, which i haven't. i think i've said it before, when it comes to fuel injection or half the cylinders, i'm golden, but v-8's and carbureated engines are a little shadier to me. plus in my limited workspace, i cant just hoist the engine out and rebuild it on a rack (which would be nice).
    I didn't take your comments as being rude, just frustrated, which I can certainly understand - been there done that.

I did grow up working on 68-74 Muscle Cars (but I even had a Flat Head V-8 for awhile) so when it comes to FI or smaller, newer engines I'm lost. A carbureted V-8 with points and I'm good.

It sounds like it was sitting for quite awhile longer than I had realized from earlier posts, but it sounds like you're getting it ironed out bit-by-bit.