So I think I've mentioned before how I'm having some serious running issues, rough idle, no power, etc. Well I've gotten down to what I THINK could be the problem. Now mind you, I'm a new guy around V-8's, so all of this is somewhat new to me, however working on cars is not new.

Now the problem I've gotten to is this: the previous owner didn't know anything about cars. He knew where to put gas and he was set. However, it stopped running on him because he stopped driving it. Obviously. He then took it to a shop who 'rebuilt' it.... I'd post pictures but I don't know how to. Either way, long story short, it's not rebuilt. Maybe some internals were upgraded, such as double roller timing chain, edelbrock intake mani and 4 barrel carb.

As I stated before, I have rough idle, almost as if there's a cam, but worse, and not a 'steady rough idle' if that makes sense. I tore apart the front end to get to the timing chain and here's my dilemma. I'm checking time, and I noticed that the timing mark on the cam sproket is at the TOP, and the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is also on the TOP. I've been using the 73 TSM online as a reference, but I can't depict the pictures because they're too small and I can't blow them up.

If I'm correct, this is 180 deg. off on the cam timing. This could be a serious fixer if this is in fact, the issue. Also, let's say I were to set the crank on TDC, take off the timing chain, replace the sprocket retainer bolt on the cam, and crank just the cam, would this get my timing correct? I can't think of a problem with this, other than valve clearance on 1 and 6 cylinder. Which if that's the case, I can set it off 45 deg and time it to there or something. I hope I'm not being confusing, because it all makes sense to me, but I need some veteran help on this one. I'd really like to stay as far OUT of the engine as possible at least for now to tackle this issue, but if it's inevitable then so be it. (I forget what bolts go to, lol. I have it covered for now though.)