Threaded View

Default 71 Javelin Twin Grip rear end questions

Hi

As I suspected, I verified today that my rear end is a Twin Grip. I though it was strange, when I parked and stored my Javelin, that I could not rotate the rear wheel when the opposite side was still on the ground with the tranny in neutral.

I never saw a Twin Grip carrier with side bolts in a Javelin, though my 71 Service Manual does clearly show it... I am use to the 73 Manual I had long ago, where the Twin Grip carrier is a small window cast unit.

Back in the 80's I would have loved to find this, but they were hard to come by at the local AMC wrecker (Len's Auto Wrecking - San Jose, California No longer in existance)

My questions are:

Is this an aftermarket AMC used in the late 60's? My Javelin is a late 71 so I did not think a unit like this would have been installed.

Is it worth my time to remove it from the axle housing and sell it on ebay? I planned on not using the AMC 20 and already have a sweet Ford 9" setup.

The original owner said that he had the rear end rebuilt about 25,000 mi ago when I purchased the car. I noticed somewhat grey looking diff fluid when I pulled the cover. Is this normal?

I think it would be wise to have it rebuilt again anyway though he was in his late 60's when he sold it to me and I have not ran it on the streets since the 170 mile trip from his house near St. Louis.

I'll place a B&W pic here to show the carrier soon, as it shows better than color in low light conditions.

Last edited by 304_dude; 09-29-2008 at 01:07 PM.