Default head lights flicker

I have just worked out a rat nest of wires in my 72' with only the wipers left. Every thing works fine while sitting still but when I am driving down the road the headlights get dim and flicker. I am fairly sure its not a short, I have replaced all the wires for the head lights. I have tried to replicate road bumps by pulling the wires with the car running and their fine. My question is what would cause them to lose power while the engine is under a load? I have tested and tried everything I can think of. Any other sugg.?

i think it IS in fact a ground problem, or at least a section of old wire that hasnt been removed yet. I had the same issue with any of my accessories actually. If i turned on the radio, the headlights would dim, and if i pressed the brakes, the radio would shut off. If i had the wipers on, the headlights would dim, and if I hit the brake lights, the wipers would stop (all of this due to the amount of load) but i did alot of rewiring on my alternator and abttery and body grounds, and it has helped, but im still not at the end of the tunnel yet. I hope that helped your situation.

This sounds like a problem similar to what my dad's Jeep truck was doing. All worked well except the headlights had an annoying flicker to them. The wiring all checked out fine as did the alternator. He put on a brand new voltage regulator and they still flickered. It was quite a mystery until we tried another voltage regulator. That fixed it. Turned out the original regulator went bad and the new one was bad as well, but the third one was good.

Well, I checked my grounds and soldered all the connections at the firewall and doubled checked contacts. I also put a new regulator on it. However, now I dont have wheels on the car and cant test it. I hope I dont have to buy another regulator.
    Thanks for your help.
    bp