Default Engine brackets and pulley interchanges on V-8's

I would like to know if the engine brackets for a/c, p/s, alternator, etc., and pulleys are interchangeable from the 360 to the 401. Since the V-8 blocks externally from the 304 to the 401 are the same, wouldn't it be assumable that all the engine accessories and pulleys would interchange? I understand that the internals are different with all of them. Any guidance in this area would be helpful. This is my first post. Thanks, Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris. It depends on what years the two motors are. All parts will interchange BUT there is a differences between the 1968-71 and 1972-up harmonic balancers that will not allow the interchange of the lower pulleys. The lower big pulley on the harmonic balancer of the 1972-up engines stick out further and hence will mis-align everything else. And the early lower pulley will NOT interchange with the earlier one that has only 3 mounting bolts, the earlier one has 4. So--yes and no.

Thanks to Big Bad AMX for the valuable info you gave me regarding V-8 engine brackets, pulleys, and such. My project is a 1973 Javelin AMX that I purchased not long ago. The original 360 engine is gone, but the orgininal T-10 Borg Warner 4-sp is still in the car. I have admired Javelin's and AMX's since high school in the late 60's, but never had the privilege of owning one. Mom had a 66 Rambler Classic with the straight 6, three on the tree manual transmission and my brother who drove it quite often gave the chevy 283's and 327's fits! He's always held AMC in high regard from those experiences. Back to the point; I want to mate a 401 to the T-10. I can see that the 401 was made well into the end of the decade and was trying to zero in on an engine from 73 to 78. I can also see that they are not easy to come by, but I have patience. I was hoping to find an old junker Jeep Wagoneer with a 401 in it and rebuild the thing while having all the bracket and pulley apparatus to boot. I do understand whatever engine I come up with, the crank must have a pilot hole for the T-10 to stab into. What's your take on finding such an animal? I've noticed that there are several engine rebuilders who offer 401's as a short or long block, but that probably means the compression ratio's are low, and I want to up that somewhat to around 9 to 9.5. Any comments on this avenue of procuring a 401? My basic plan is to up the compression ratio as mentioned, pair it with a mild cam, add an aluminum intake, bolt on a new carburetor such as an edelbrock performer, and finish with a set of headers. Basic, but it should sound and drive like a dream! My project needs a lot of work to become presentable once again, but it would most likely be the only AMX at the local car shows sitting next to twenty camaros all of the same year and color! My project still has the old paint with the faded upsidedown T on the hood, and the hood is fiberglas as is the rear spoiler. It must have been an absolute beauty just off the showroom floor!