Default 1969 AMX tailpipes

Hey guys, Finally replaced my '69 AMX I lost years ago with another and need a pair of replacement tailpipes. Does anyone know of a distributor who carries replacement tailpipes. I hate to have them made because I don't like the bends the muffler shops put in them. My other alternative is to buy the u bends and some pipe and make my own. Lot of work but would look better than the crushed bends the muffler shops produce. Let me know if you know of any sources. Also, what diameter would be best. Thanks.

Don't know about any prefabs but 2.5-inch is possible, but difficult around the gas tank. Careful mandrel bends will do it without hitting anything, but real close. To do 2.5, it really should be done locally at a shop that knows what they are doing.

Thanks Big Bad. I'm lined up at a muffler shop to mount a pair of Summit turbo's. The mufflers are 2 1/2 in and out--they should be able to neck them down to 2 1/4 to clear the differential and gas tank.

Default Muffler Shops

I had mine done with 2 1/2 inch pipes with no problems. However I should define what mine is. It's a 73 Hornet and I could see very little difference between it and my AMX. I had the local muffler shop here in town put them on with some slick 24 inch glass packs. Ended up on the loud side but I like it that way. The shop wasted one pipe because he put the wrong bend in it and he had no problem working around the gas tank and the rear suspension pieces. No rubbing nor is there any binding that I can tell. Super job and a reasonable price.

Angry tailpipes

Had the pipes built by a highly recommended shop but they built the system with the car in the air supported by the frame, thus the differential was hanging down. I noticed the tailpipes rubbing the shocks on the ride home so I took it back and they redid the tailpipes. Both mufflers hung evenly the first time, now one is hanging about an inch lower than the other. Pisses me off. I should go back and have them even it out but man, it's hard to make that kind of time. The tips exit under the bumper evenly but like I said, the mufflers are uneven. Am I being too picky?

if you got a "deal" on the job(cheap),let it ride,,,if you paid the bucks to be done "right",by all means take it back....He'd rather have someone say-"wow,who did your exhaust???" THAN "who's the moron who did your exhaust!"....from an ex-mechanic who cared about his work.