Default 68 AMX Wheel Covers

Most 68 AMX cars I've seen pictures of have rally wheels, not wheel covers. Was the attached wheel cover standard for the 68 AMX? These are on a car I'm in the process of buying, and the rest of the car is pretty original all around. I've seen the original window sticker and it doesn't say anything about wheels. It's a 390 Go Pack car with automatic transmission.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those wheel covers were standard on the AMX. Most anything is possible but it's very, very odd on a 390 Go-Pack car. Redline tires were standard with Go-Pack. I'll do some checking and see if I can find out more specifics.

Thanks! I like the look of the rally wheels, but if these wheel covers were original to the car, I'll leave them on.

The original window sticker for the car has survived and says (can't read the dashes):

AMX 8 2 DOOR 397 HARDTOP $3245

---- HIALEAH YELLOW
    VINYL TRIM NO. T-831A
    ---- BUCKET SEATS
    ----DER BELTS, 2 ----
    390V, TG, DISC, E70T, HDC, STRIPE, HP
    SHIFT-COMMAND AND CONSOLE
    POWER STEERING
    RADIO, AM PUSH BUTTON
    ENGINE-MOD EMISSION CONTROL

TOTAL SUGGESTED RETAIL $3945.45

The car is equipped with Air Conditioning, including Weather Eye control knob and an AM/FM radio. Neither of these are shown on the window sticker, however, as you can see. The car was originally delivered to a Long Beach, California dealer.

I'm really excited about being a new AMX owner! Thanks for your help.

David

The rally wheels were not part of the Go-Pack so, though quite unusual, the wheel covers would have been standard and therefore original to your car. And don't let anyone talk you out of them, they're tough to find.

The A/C should have been on the build sheet if factory equipped. It's probable that the car was delivered to the dealer w/o A/C and the dealer added it. Dealers could order an under dash kit or an A/C kit that included everything the factory would have installed depending on what the customer wanted. And there's nothing in the VIN or door tag to confirm factory A/C install. The build sheet or dealer paperwork is about it. I don't know why it's missing from the dealer invoice unless it was owner added at a later date? The AM-FM radio was likely added later as well. Either way it's always interesting to hear of the variations and possibilities of these cars.

Last edited by Big Bad AMX; 07-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks, again. The build sheet also comes with the car, which should be here in a week or so. Can't wait to see it in my garage! As you can see, I'm definitely a newbie, but excited to join the AMX club. :-)

David