Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1973 AMX with Pierre Cardin Interior, Fresh Plum, 401, 4sp, 3:91 posi 29,000 original

Excited to get back into AMC cars. I bought my current car 20+ years ago because I thought it looked cool. I really didn't have an AMX passion at the time. Almost immediately when I drove it home people would flash their lights asking me if I wanted to sell it and I told them I just bought it myself. I then started wondering about this "purple car". Drove it regularly for about a year and decided it might be better to buy a different daily driver. Has been covered and sitting in storage and now sits in my man cave. I want to get back into the hobby; the car needs some pieces to be correct and honestly would love to find a restoration shop that specializes in these cars to make it as it was the day it drove of the showroom floor, a complete restoration.

Some details I know the car was ordered by the General Manager of an AMC dealership here in PA, I can't remember the name of either. But I have it somewhere; it was a Christmas gift to him and was bought December 22 1972. He went through a divorce and sold the car to the person I bought it from. It was listed in some our auto trader and he had it listed as blue because he later told me he was afraid to say purple because he thought no one would want it. He had the hood grill and passenger side fender replaced from a fender bender he was in. To bad he had someone do an Earl Shibe on it and they didn't put the correct hood or grill back on, but way back then I found a NOS grill insert new in the box in Virginia and a used grill screen and turn signals. Friends here in Pa that are AMX collectors found a factory fiberglass cowl induction hood which I bought. I had the original radio, valve covers and yes the cowl induction hood air cleaner assembly in a box from the prior owner in the trunk. The day I brought the car home they were clanging around in the trunk so I sat the box in my girlfriend’s dad’s garage, forgot about them and he threw them away. So 24 years later here I am.

Welcome to the forum and great to hear you're looking to get back into the hobby. Sounds like a very nicely optioned car. Having one and knowing the history of it is tough anymore. Bummer about the gf's dad though.

I realize these guys are a quite a way from you but you might want to contact Wayne or Aaron at www.coloradoamx.com for restoration work. Or they may know someone with a reputable shop in PA. Also check the national AMC clubs at www.amonational.com or www.amcrc.com for club chapters in your area.

If you get a chance post some pics.

Thanks for the info. Thats what i was looking for, you figure if you are going to do it once and do it right whats a trip to CO. Can't wait to dig into this site. I have always wondered if it came with a t stripe if so what color was it. Hopefully i can decode the vin and door codes to find that stuff out.

They have some gorgeous cars and are great folks. Highly recommended.

And Paint codes for 1973 are here http://www.amx-perience.com/1973JavAMX.htm#1973Paint though stripe color isn't coded. And if you want to post your VIN I can decode it for you. VIN just tells year, engine, tranny, model, overall production number. AMC didn't get real specific like other Manufacturers. Also, if you still have the valve cover tag and need to decode it the info is here http://www.amx-perience.com/AMXtechPage.htm

This will be easier to find and more complete if I can ever get the new site done and launched.

Sounds good I will get the vin tomorrow and a picture of the trim tag on the door.
    Thank You,

Nice car, love the Pierre Cardin interior. Really shows how devoid of style the new car interiors are.

Here's how the numbers breakdown:

VIN

A = American Motors Corporation
    3 = 1973
    M = 4-Spd. Floor Shift, Floor Mtd
    7 = Javelin
    9 = 2-Door Hardtop
    8 = Javelin AMX
    Z = 401 V8, 4BC
    1 = Assembly plant. 1-6 = Kenosha, WI
    88685 = These digits represent the sequential serial number

Door tag
    Body 041343 = Wisconsin Build
    Model 7379-8 = 2-Door Hardtop AMX
    TRIM 341W = (3)1973, (41)Black, (W)? likely for the Cardin but haven't found confirmation.
    Paint F3 = Fresh Plum Metallic
    ? 041245 = Production Sequence - can't make out first digit

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Big Bad AMX; 01-13-2012 at 08:44 PM.

I will confirm the first number today. Is there anyway to know how many were made just like this? Years ago I was told the combination of paint, motor, options and interior made it pretty rare and a collector from Georgia offered me a 68 AMX and a 1972 AMX in trade for it. Also Is there anything that would tell me if it had a stripe kit, or any other special striping, trim or whatever? It's thought to know what it was like prior. When I questioned the owner I bought it from he didn't want to get into details I think mostly because he was embarrassed he replaced the fender hood and grill from the junk yard and pocketed the rest of the insurance money. I figure like most things to have a proper restoration it will cost more than the car is worth, but to me it was the first car I had bought with my own money and have fond memories of my dad and I street racing camaro's, mustangs and chevelles. Not mention my girlfriends thought it was pretty cool :-)

The first character is a "W", does that make sense?

QUOTE=Big Bad AMX;3956]Nice car, love the Pierre Cardin interior. Really shows how devoid of style the new car interiors are.

Here's how the numbers breakdown:

VIN

A = American Motors Corporation
    3 = 1973
    M = 4-Spd. Floor Shift, Floor Mtd
    7 = Javelin
    9 = 2-Door Hardtop
    8 = Javelin AMX
    Z = 401 V8, 4BC
    1 = Assembly plant. 1-6 = Kenosha, WI
    88685 = These digits represent the sequential serial number

Door tag
    Body 041343 = Wisconsin Build
    Model 7379-8 = 2-Door Hardtop AMX
    TRIM 341W = (3)1973, (41)Black, (W)? likely for the Cardin but haven't found confirmation.
    Paint F3 = Fresh Plum Metallic
    ? 041245 = Production Sequence - can't make out first digit

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

I'm just heading out the door, will try to get you production numbers tomorrow.

Yes it would make sense as the W in the production sequence number would indicate your car went down the West Kenosha assembly line.

And to confirm the W in the trim code is for the Pierre Cardin interior.

5,707 Javelin AMXs were built in 1973. And the total Pierre Cardin interior production is 4,152 which includes all 1972 and 1973 Javelins. I haven't found a more detailed breakdown, and no breakdown on drivetrain, paint, etc., figures past 1970.

And unfortunately there's no way to determine the stripe color unless there's some remnant of it left on the car or photo, etc. AMC didn't code those colors to the car.

You were told correctly, your car is nicely optioned with a desirable combination which certainly increases its value and collectibility.