Question AMX/Javlin Tail light lenses

Hi guys! Great site !

I have a good friend who makes tail light lenses that are not available from any after market source. My question is are any companies re-producing the tail light lenses for the 68-70 AMX or Javlin? I am trying to get him to expand from just mostly Ford mustang parts to AMC as well.

I've owned a 69 Big bad blue 390 Javlin a 68 343 AMX and a Gremlin X with a 390 power plant, ford 9" and a 727 tranny. Although I currently own a 67 Firebird and 69 Mach 1, I have never lost my love for the early AMC's.

The only reason I do not own a AMC now is parts availability.

Any comments or suggestions on plastic parts that AMX/Javlin guys would like to see reproduced would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
    www.classicfirebird.com

Unhappy Tail Light Lens

The biggest problem for vendors is the scarcity of the vehicles themselves. AMC was fourth rate not in the quality, but in production numbers. They just could not compete with the big three, not that they did not try. Mustangs, Cameros, and other well known models were produced in the 100,000's while AMC was always stuck in the 10,000's produced. Vendors of replacement parts look at the numbers (a game if you will) and try to figure out where the biggest bang for the buck lie. Too bad, but AMC almost always falls short in any type of endeavor that any particular vendor may consider.
    As far as replacement lenses are concern, there a few out there (vendors) who have them, however I find it very diffcult to locate the back up lenses for the 70 and 71 Javelin/AMX. I have always have had to rely on the second handed lenses because nobody will re-produce the things. I normally do not have any problems with finding the housing, just the lenses. This again could be because only about 53,000 vehicles were built in those two years combined (Javelins and AMXs).

If he can make tail light lenses that are equal in quality and appearance to the originals I'd say the market is there for the '68-'69 AMX and Javelin. They use the same lens and between both years and models probably have the biggest market.

A 1970 AMX and Javelin tail light is needed but is a smaller market. Again, quality is key.

Got the following via email for repro AMC plastic requests:

Anyway, tell him that I and every other Spirit & SX/4 person wants the round A-mark marker lenses for the rear quarters as all the originals have long since cracked. The lenses under the headlights would be good too - in clear or amber - as they've all long since been pitted.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quality is not a problem. The guy owns the patent on the process he uses. It removes all Hydrogen (air bubbles) from the plastic thus making it stronger and brighter then the originals. He has been making the 70 Mustang lenses for the last year and they are beautiful.

I guess my next question would be where should I look to buy one of each for him to make the molds? Ebay? Or does anyone know a better source? If anyone here is interested in donating one I could arrange that they get a pair of the finish product for free.

If anyone is interested drop me an email at Chris@classicfirebird.com and we can talk about it and touch base via Telephone.

Any other info would be great!

Thanks again
    Chris