Thread: No dash power

Default No dash power

I have a 74 javelin amx and almost nothing electrical works. I have not got the car running yet but when I turn the key on the only things inside that work are the fuel gauge, the hazard lights (it blinks for a few seconds then stays on solid) , and the un-labeled red light right next to the alternator light. They key actually works to start the car though as I used it to turn the engine over. I have looked at the fuse panel and all the fuses are good, none blown. I took the dash apart and the only wires I found that were cut were an orange and a black one that i'm pretty sure go to the radio. There was in fact a whole white plug with about 12 wires on it. It is the male end of the switch and there is no other female ends that it would plug into. Could that plug be the reason none of my lights or windshield wipers or anything don't work? Or is that plug for the seatbelt sensor system that was disconnected? I need help!

--Levi

Wow, I just re-read that and my spelling is horrible. The proposed radio wires are actually orange and brown, not black. And it should be "could that be why none of my lights or windshield wipers work" instead of the double negative. Sorry for the confusion, hope someone can understand me!

Here's a link to a 1973 AMC Technical Service Manual which includes the wiring diagram. It may be easiest to just print the diagram out and see if you can find out just where everything needs to go. And be sure to check out section 3 which explains what goes where and why. http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/AMC/197...-B/browser.htm

Hey thanks man, I'll have to get on my computer and go through it all. I don't know how to read wiring diagrams too well though. Also, from what I read on this website, each year of the 71-74 javelins had different wiring so I'm not sure if the 73 manual would work or not. Is there not one for a 74?

The problem was my fuse panel actually I found out. I pulled the whole thing off and all the terminals were rusted and corroded. I sanded them all off and now my curtesy lights work, but still no inner dash lights, panel lights, or windshield wipers. Still have some scraping of inner terminals on the fuse panel plug that comes from the firewall. Hopefully that solves it! Also, what are the vacuum lines behind the heater control panel for? They are unhooked and I don't know where to put them

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline6 View Post
    The problem was my fuse panel actually I found out. I pulled the whole thing off and all the terminals were rusted and corroded. I sanded them all off and now my curtesy lights work, but still no inner dash lights, panel lights, or windshield wipers. Still have some scraping of inner terminals on the fuse panel plug that comes from the firewall. Hopefully that solves it! Also, what are the vacuum lines behind the heater control panel for? They are unhooked and I don't know where to put them
    The 73 TSM is the only full AMC TSM online that I know of for the 71-74 models. Does your car have A/C? I believe the vacuum lines are for A/C controls.