Default Importing a car into Canada

What's involved with importing a car into Canada from the US? Specifically British Columbia? I'm assuming a declaration will have to be made at the border what document's are required there and what do I need to have it registered provincially?

Did a little more research on this subject. New CBP rules (as of April last year) now require 72 hours notice be given when a vehicle is exported. It seems you can apply on line or use a broker. I think I'll go that route, may cost a couple of bucks, but I would assume that they know what they are doing. Anybody else aware of this new rule? Did you apply yourself? What brokerage did you use? What if no original title is available? Can a bill of sale suffice?

Your best bet would be to talk to a broker about those issues as they might have already dealt with it. I have used a broker in the past for importing Plumbing and electrical equipment, but never a car. I would be interested in how you find the process as I have a feeling I will be going that route in the future.

Jason

I've talked to a customs broker and will be engaging their services. It is an online process, but it's easier to let them deal with it. Besides they offer a discount for members of our local car club. One caveat, though you must have an original copy of the title for the vehicle. CBP won't accept a bill of sale.

Ended up going with a customs broker. Cost me $200, but had US customs approval the next day. On my way to Boise to pick up my '69 390 on Friday!

Sweet, That was fast, and probably worth the $200 compared to having to deal with customs. Not saying that it can not be done, but sometime it is just easier to pay a little and save a lot of time trying to figure things out. Can not wait to see pictures of the car. Hope the trip goes well.

Jason

My first time buying a vintage car, so going with the broker gave me some peace of mind. I drove 10 hours and a 1000 km to pick up the car. I wanted to be certain that the export would be clear before I left. The car I bought was a restoration that was started and abandoned. It's been in storage for 15 years- a garage find of sorts. The car was originally a white Go Pack car, 390, 4 speed. Some body work was done and then it was repainted red. The work done was not great and the only issue I can see so far is some rust on the drivers side rockers, other than it is pretty solid. The engine was stripped down and is literally a box of parts. Looks like the intake, carb, balancer and fly wheel are missing. There are lots of AMC intakes out there if I
    want the engine to stay stock, but I'll probably go with Edelbrock. Not so concerned about the balancer as the engine is going to a friends shop for balancing and zero decking. I'm having issues uploading pictures from my Android tablet, so I'll try from a PC later. I'm really excited about getting this project going.