Default Wayne's AMX project

I'm just getting started on my AMX project. A 1969 390, 4 speed. I found the car in Boise, Idaho and drove 800 miles to bring it home. A restoration was started and then abandoned many years ago. It's been stored in a garage for the last 15 years (thankfully). Over the years parts were scavenged for other projects. The car was in pieces when I bought it. It came with the seats and no other trim. All that was left of the engine was the block, heads, crank, oil pan, pistons and connecting rods. The original T-10 transmission was there but with no shifter or linkages. The body work was marginal at best, but the crappy paint job did serve to preserve it.

I'm planning a complete down to bare metal restoration on it and have recently started the disassembly. I removed the front clip and fenders a couple weeks ago. The troughs look good, but do show some evidence of repair on the drivers side. The rockers, trunk and floor pan are all solid.

The engine is at the shop getting ready for the re-build. Plans include for stroking it with SBC 6.25" connecting rods and SBC 400 pistons. With an offset grid to the crank it will be approximately 411 ci. Going to use an Eddy air-gap intake and Quickfuel 850 CFM carb. Undecided on the camshaft though. Looking for a strong street performer, but not too lumpy. Any suggestions?

I'm on a quest for parts and pieces. Anybody in the lower mainland of BC or in Washington or Oregon with spare parts, PM me and I'll send you a list.

I've waited a long time for this car, really excited to finally get the project underway.

Wayne Major

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150328_14_30_39_Smart.jpg 
Views:	914 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150404_11_17_03_Smart.jpg 
Views:	915 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150404_11_29_48_Smart.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	190  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150404_11_30_47_Smart.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150404_11_29_57_Smart.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150328_14_30_10_Smart.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	187  

keep us posted with many pic.s Nice project Wayne
    mogger7

Taking a car down to bare metal is a labour of love. You are going to have to snap tons of pictures as it will be quite the feat. Are you planning to stick to stock and keep the color? That is one thing I regret is that my car's color was changed when they stripped it. You would never know unless you look at the codes, but it is still something I wish they had not changed.

Jason

The car was originally white with a red interior. Changing it to Matador red with either charcoal or black interior. I picked up a Ford 8.8 axle from a 2006 Explorer this weekend. I'm not certain if the axle that came with the car is original. It's missing everything and was only on the car so I could push it on the trailer all that's left are the axle shafts and bearings. I figure it would probably cost more to source all the OEM parts than to adapt the Ford unit. Besides I get disc brakes and a locking diff. I'm not looking to make a period correct restoration, but rather the car I wanted to build in my youth.

Went cruising with my buddy today in his '66 Malibu SS. We got lots of stares and thumbs up, but couldn't help thinking, "...Just you wait!..."

Hello just a new guy sounds like a fun project we are going with a Chrysler 8 3/4 we don't have the 390 so we're going with the 401 not going to stroke it though going to spend that money towards feel injection.our car has a 343 in it now had a 390 when I was a teenager's great Machine pretty sure we have the only one in town people follow me around until I stop and talk about car.you will have a lot of fun in the car good luck keep us posted