Default It's been a long time...

...since I've owned an AMC. My first car was a 1969 Jeep Commando followed shortly by a 1971 AMX. The next thirty + years were filled with various FORD, Chevrolet and Mopar vehicles culminating in mostly Cougars and Mustangs at our restoration shop. Although I have a deep love for anything FORD, I knew a long time ago that I would eventually get back to my roots, remembering my first glimpse of a new 1969 Matador Red Go-Pac AMX on the showroom floor of Cornelius Rambler (Also the sponsor of my Little League team!) in my hometown of Peoria Heights Illinois when I was ten. And of course my first AMX that I was forced to sell due to outlandish insurance premiums DUE to too many speeding, racing and "too fast for condtions" citations. Subsequently, the desire to have an AMX has been hammered home year after year seeing a host of Trans AM Javelins and an occasional SCCA AMX at the Historic Automobile Races on Coronado Island here in San Diego.

In November of 2013 we purchased a 1969 390 Go-Pac AMX from a guy trying to get a quick sale done in order to keep it from his wife in a divorce. For me it was the right car, at the right price, at the right time. It was in primer, straight, with most of the parts there. Running, but otherwise disassembled.

Now, a year-and-a-half later, we're finally getting to the point of starting to get it done. It's a blank canvas and that's a great thing by me. I've never been a correct or Concourse kinda' guy. (Although I've built several for my custmers.) When I was a kid I always went the custom route when building model cars. So the cars in my life have always been built with that same slant towards personalization. In my mind, I've built the AMX in a few different ways, each down to every last nut and bolt. Now it's time to get it outa' my mind and on the car so I can finally get a good night's sleep again. (Happens every time...)

So, I'll return here from time to time to ask questions that will help me to build, hopefully, my last personal car. My all-time favorite and last. But, I believe in giving back as well. I've been around the block a few times and hopefully I can glean some advice and information here and there that might prove helpful to some.

Anyway, it will be a pleasure to get to know you.

Brian, AKA Cornelius Rambler

Welcome to the forum!
    Chris
    2000 Dodge Durango 4.7L, 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 1968 AMC Javelin 5.6L 

Too many "speeding, racing and "too fast for conditions" citations.", we have no idea what you mean. Welcome to the community. While Chris did not mention it, we love pictures.

Jason

I bought my first new car from the Peoria Heights AMC dealer; a 1974 Gremlin with a 304 3 speed on the floor. I drove a 1974 AMX around the block and my Dad said that it was probably a little bit too much car for a 17 year old. I now have a 1968 AMX 390 4 speed car in need of a complete rebuild and restore. Looking forward to getting started.

Hey Brian... seen the name Cornelius... Is that your last name... 1968 AMX Owner with a last name Cornelius

Actually, it was the name of the AMC dealer in my home town!