Thread: Greetings;

Default Greetings;

Hello all,woodsman1953 here, purchaced a"barn find" 68 AMX in June.Been working on it since I got it home. Shound have it up and running tomorrow, I hope! Glad to find a site totrade info on AMCs'

Welcome, so how was the first ride?

So how did you come across the car if it was hiding in the barn?

Well, funny thing is, while adjusting and tuning for the first ride, I discovered the alternator was shot. So, today ordered a Delco alternator from the local parts store. Comes in Sunday and I'll need to modify to fit. ( single wire conversion) So, hopefully, alternator and bleed the brakes I hope it will be roadworthy. Finding it was easy owners' wife lost her job and was hurting for cash, he had listed on Craigslist, and I was at his door the next morning.

I have never had that much luck finding cars in Canada, but they do exist.

I was talking to a friend about the price the cars are going for now up here now a days and commented that I paid a little over 5 grand for my last one and I saw a fixer upper going to $5500 just recently. My friend asked how long ago I bought it, and thought about it and I guess it was 25 ears ago. I was shocked as it did not seem so long.

The one nice thing unlike body parts and trim is that engine parts are easy to find usually came from one of the main auto manufactures at the time. Had a parts guy tell me it would be 2 to 3 weeks for a starter. He then looked up the part and oh it is the same as the Mustang, I go one on the shelf.

Jason

Welcome. I just went through the whole alternator debacle myself and opted to have the original restored and rebuilt. I know it would have been better to convert it and be done but that irritating
    originality thing that has plagued me through many restorations keeps winning out against common sense. I got the unit rewound, rebuilt, restored all shiny and a reproduction Motorola tag riveted
    on for $110.00 including shipping both ways from a forum member. Hoping to find another to put on the shelf, but these alternators are getting tough to find (as you now know)
    2000 Dodge Durango 4.7L, 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 1968 AMC Javelin 5.6L 