Thread: 69 343

Default 69 343

I am having a heck of a time putting the dip stick tube back in the block. I have broken two. The car has headers on it. I will say space is tight but I do manage to get the tube started, but I can not get them all the way in. Does anyone have a suggestion?

thanks

Default Dipsticks and the Such

I had a similiar problem when I broke mine off on the 390. The solution was just as hard but at the same time easy. Take off the header and saw thru the flange between the 5th and 7th cylinders. You do not need to take a lot off (lengh wise, just about 4 inches or so). When you do this, it will leave a gap where you can wiggle the dipstick tube around a little. You will need a partner either on the top side or down below. The object is to follow the bend and get the tube in straight at the same time. If you go in either direction too far, you will not be able to insert the dipstick itself all of the way down. It would be best if the dipstick is inserted in the tube after the press fitting is in the block. Next find a 1/4 box wrench and stick on top of the press fitting thats located on the bottom of the tube (ok, it's about 6-8 inches up). Take a hammer and hit the handle of the wrench as close as where the press fitting is. This will drive the fitting into the block. You cannot go too far because the fitting is flared on the top and should stop right on the block itself.
    This little procedure isn't the easiest thing to do, but it does save you some money that would otherwise spent having a mechanic doing it.
    Also, it you do not have a dipstick holder that attaches to the valve cover, get one. These tubes can come loose on their own or when you pull the dipstick out.
    Have fun.

thanks, i have un bolted the header and getting ready to try. didi this car come with a tube holder to the valve cover bolt?

thanks

Smile Stick Holder

I do not believe they came out with them until 70 or 71. My 71 Javelin did not have one on it. That lasted until I broke the stupid tube. It could have been later, but I have seen models as early as 70 have them. They are available thru American Performance in Coca Beach, Florida. I believe their web site is oldcarparts.com. and they cost under $7.00 or so.

Smile

got er done. i unbolted the header and got it in. didi not have to do any cutting. i believe i could have rebuilt the motor in the time it took all together.
    thanks for your imput.
    i'lll contact old car parts about the brace or make one.
    thanks again

Talking Glad

Glad that I was some assistance to you. Also glad that you didn't have to cut the header, wish I was as lucky when mine broke. Good luck.