Thread: Speedo Cables

Unhappy Speedo Cables

Okay, I will try and take this one slow. I am currently in the middle of installing a 401 into my 71 Javelin. I made the decision to change the tranny to torque-flite 727. I got most everything I need except the speedometer cable. I know that the borg-warner cable will not work on the torque-flite tranny and I will need a torque-flite cable. The question is will a 72 Javelin Cable work on the 71 Javelin. My speedo unit is a clip in with the cable and I am not sure if the newer (72) cable is a "clip in" ? Or is it a threaded like the 70 and older AMCs???? Any ideas??

Default Speedo Cable Question

What did you end up doing here? I have a 71 Javelin 3 speed tranny and I have been locking for a speedo cable for ever. Mine is a clip end type that is cracked at the clip and wont stay on the back of the speedo.

I have located a 72 cable on eBay but cannot receive assurances of fit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Default Answer to speedos

Quote Originally Posted by 71jav
    What did you end up doing here? I have a 71 Javelin 3 speed tranny and I have been locking for a speedo cable for ever. Mine is a clip end type that is cracked at the clip and wont stay on the back of the speedo.

I have located a 72 cable on eBay but cannot receive assurances of fit.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Ended up getting a speedo cable for the 72 Javelins. Torque flite was the first year for the Javelin in 72. I also found out that they make the Borg Warner speedo cable for the 71's The company that makes them or in this case sells them is American Performance located I think in Cocoa Beach Forida. The cables are actually about 2 inches longer than the originals because of tightness of fit problems. Have had them both in my 70 AMX and my 71 Javelin and have suffered no problems with them.

Were they reasonably priced? I've been considering machining a custom aluminum end for my broken speedo cable. It would be a bit of work but if the cables are resonably priced then I'd go that route.
    Art

74 Javelin

Default Speedos Pricing

If I remember right they were both right at $45.00 or so. They saved me the headache of trying to cobble one together. I am not a machinists and I have a lot of respect for those who are. Great people who can just about make anything they want providing that they have access to the tools required.