Thread: Tach question

Default Tach question

I have a '69 AMX that the tach face markings (the orange or red)have faded out. What I would like to know what is the correct procedere to put the marks back to original color( are they orange or red or a combination).Instrument Services (a company that restores gauges) can do this but they will take 4 weeks to do it and I thought that maybe someone has done this and could be of some help.

Thanks,
    Matador1

For the tach an orange fluorescent marker is recommended, especially on the needle. The line markings on the tach face could be brightened up with the marker or professionally painted back on. Do NOT attempt to remove the face from the tach. The needle will break off for sure and then you will have to replace the tach at considerable cost. The utmost care should be take no matter what.

Thanks for the reply Big Bad AMX.Instrument Services is rebuilding the speedo and tach and their cost for restoring the tach face is costly. Which after talking to them it is a time comsuming process.I removed the units from my AMX and tried to remove the tach face so that I could ship the units to them, and in a split second the needle broke off of the tach. The tach needed to be replaced a long time ago,so all was not lost.I was really surprised to find a new unit for tach available. I'm going to try the marker and I'll post back here with the results. Again thanks!

Default tach repair

hello,

can you tell me who you went through to repair your tach. There aren't many places that will work on amc's. jeremy

I haven't tried them but here's a source for you:
    http://www.amx-perience.com/American...=3407#post3407

If you use them please give a us a review.