Default Need some help please/70 AMX or Javelin

Hi - I'm new here and will be looking for a 70 Javelin or AMX soon. I've owned three 1970 LT-1 Corvettes and one 1970 W-30 442 and am saving the best for last. Not sure where to look for block/transmission numbers to verify matching numbers and don't understand how the car had to be ordered to get the center functional hood scoop. Lastly, are the two round vents on the front dash over the radio A/C vents ?I noticed in pictures some have them and some don't. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Need some help please/70 AMX or Javelin

Welcome RayG and thanks for stopping in!
    Wow, sweet cars you've had. '72 was the last year of chrome bumpers for the Vette wasn't it?
    To answer your questions on engine trans verification go to the Technical Data page in the main site (click the lightning logo above to go to the homepage and navigate through the menu and sub-menus on the left sidebar) or go directly to it here: http://amx-perience.com/AMXtechPage.htm
    Check the VIN for the engine cid and trans type. AMC made it easy to check the cid of the engine. It's cast in the side of the block in 2" high numbers. T/A blocks (racing) and some warranty replacement blocks didn't have these numbers - all others did. However AMC did not "numbers match" specific blocks and trannys to their cars like GM and others did. This means that a 1970 AMX with a 390 and an auto in it that was replaced with a different 1970 390 and auto is "numbers matching" though it is not original.
    That page also has paint and interior codes (door tag codes), option production percentages and more.

The functional Ram Air hood was part of the Go-Pakage.

And yes, the two vents in the center of the dash are indeed A/C vents. Approximately 20% of the AMXs produced in 1968-70 had the A/C option.

I may have a line on a 1970 390 4-speed Go-Pack AMX if you're interested.

Other links in this site you may want to visit:
    More 70 AMX info here:
    http://amx-perience.com/1970amx.htm

1970 Mark Donohue Javelin info here:
    http://amx-perience.com/MarkDonohueJavelin.htm

Hope that helps!

Default 70 AMX/Javelin

Yes 72 was the last year for chrome bumpers in a Vette and I think that is what really helps keep the value of that car up. Thanks for all that help it's exactly what I need to "get smart" with AMC's. I'm not sure what type of condition AMX or Javelin i'm lookin for. My last Vette was 99 % all original with 35,000 miles so all I did was stare at it for 5 years. I guess i'm looking for the "Go Pack" with a four speed that is a driver but without the bright colors.(ya I know keep dreamin') I personally don't think there's a better looking muscle car out there and the lines really hold up well today. Thanks again for your help, i'm not trying to get this done tomorrow so i'll be patient until the right car comes along. Great site by the way !!

Another noobie here. A friend of mine is looking for a 69 or 70 AMX. I was searching for the same information as RayG - the location of VIN stampings. I am surprised to learn AMC did not stamp the VINs into blocks or transmissions. I was under the impression that it was a federal law beginning in 1968 that VIN's were to be stamped into the major components of all cars. I am still interested in any information regarding casting numbers and stamping codes used on cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, etc., etc. that would help authenticate a car. Any help would be appreciated. And yes I would agree, those do sound like some sweet cars you used to own RayG. Of course I might be just a little partial.......

Quote Originally Posted by Super442
    Another noobie here. A friend of mine is looking for a 69 or 70 AMX. I was searching for the same information as RayG - the location of VIN stampings. I am surprised to learn AMC did not stamp the VINs into blocks or transmissions. I was under the impression that it was a federal law beginning in 1968 that VIN's were to be stamped into the major components of all cars. I am still interested in any information regarding casting numbers and stamping codes used on cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, etc., etc. that would help authenticate a car. Any help would be appreciated. And yes I would agree, those do sound like some sweet cars you used to own RayG. Of course I might be just a little partial.......
    I'd probably give my left nut to have the W-30 back. I also had a 69 442, how about you ? Also, is the Javelin casting numbers the same as the AMX for 1970 ?

Quote Originally Posted by RayG
    I'd probably give my left nut to have the W-30 back. I also had a 69 442, how about you ? Also, is the Javelin casting numbers the same as the AMX for 1970 ?
    I can understand what you mean about the W-30. A low mileage, unrestored, 70 W-30 4 spd recently sold on ebay for $77, 800! At the moment I have a 71 W-30, a 67 4-4-2 Super/Pro bracket car and a 69 Vista Cruiser that tows it. Oh, and a black 1988 Z51 Corvette.
    But back to the AMX question, does anybody know of source - online or book, that shows engine / transmission casting numbers and stamping codes for 68-70 AMX's?

A low mileage, unrestored, 70 W-30 4 spd recently sold on ebay for $77, 800!
    $77,800 YEEEOWCH!! Nice looking car though.

But back to the AMX question, does anybody know of source - online or book, that shows engine / transmission casting numbers and stamping codes for 68-70 AMX's?
    The original books are about it - that I know of. AMC didn't make it real easy to decipher their numbers. Not like Ford for instance which are cake. The cid is cast in the side of the block. There's a casting number on the back of the block - but it does not put a specific engine in a specific body.

I was under the impression that it was a federal law beginning in 1968 that VIN's were to be stamped into the major components of all cars. I am still interested in any information regarding casting numbers and stamping codes used on cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, etc., etc. that would help authenticate a car.
    Originally there was a tag on the valve cover which gives the date of engine manfacture and cid. Unfortunately these are easily removed and usually end up lost or missing.
    And, for whatever reason, AMC stamped different codes on the engines valve cover tag in 1968 and 1969. 343’s were stamped with a Z on the valve cover. A 390 valve cover is stamped with a W. To decipher intake manifold numbers, cylinder head casting numbers, etc. you'll need to find original AMC parts books or someone who has them.

Keep in mind that in 68, 69 the AMX was available with just three engine and two tranmission options. In 70 it was two engine and two tranny options. An AMX engine was only available from the factory one way. With a four-barrel intake and dual exhaust. Same heads, compression ratios, etc. Group 19 performance options were dealer installed and did not show up in the VIN. Manual tranny options were the Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed for all engines. The automatics were either a Borg-Warner M-11 in the 290 and 343 cars or a M12 with a 390. In 1970 you got either a 360 or a 390. Same trans options. All were on the floor.
    The door tag will give you color codes and such. Again, there is no way absolute way to specifically tie a specific engine to a specific body.

The VIN decodes as such:
    The first symbol designates the vehicle manufacturer; A = American Motors

The second symbol designates the model year; 0 = 1970

The third symbol designates the transmission type; M = Four speed manual with floor shift; C = three speed automatic with floor shift

The fourth symbol was a number designating the car line; 3 = AMX

The fifth symbol designated body type, 9 = 2 door hard top.

The sixth symbol designated the series or class of body; as follows: 7 = AMX.

The seventh symbol was a letter designating engine type as follows: P = 360 cid V-8 four-barrel; and X=390 cid V-8 four-barrel.

The following group of symbols was the sequential Serial Number and began with 100001 for cars built in Kenosha, Wis. and 700001 for cars built in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

NOTE: The valve cover tags were now stamped using the same code as the VIN.

Default 70 W-30 442

Quote Originally Posted by Super442
    I can understand what you mean about the W-30. A low mileage, unrestored, 70 W-30 4 spd recently sold on ebay for $77, 800! At the moment I have a 71 W-30, a 67 4-4-2 Super/Pro bracket car and a 69 Vista Cruiser that tows it. Oh, and a black 1988 Z51 Corvette.
    $77,800 !!! You just ruined the rest of my life. Really that is painful as hell. I think i'll go look at my pictures and cry. A nice AMX could take the pain away though. You've got some nice cars there.

Quote Originally Posted by RayG
    $77,800 !!! You just ruined the rest of my life. Really that is painful as hell. I think i'll go look at my pictures and cry. A nice AMX could take the pain away though. You've got some nice cars there.
    Sorry 'bout that........ But if it is any consolation, I'm also now kicking myself over a few woulda-coulda-shoulda's......
    But hey, such is life..... Anyway, thanks for the compliment. And thanks Big Bad AMX for the info. I appreciate it.