Default Help on Racing....

I plan on re......introducing the American Motors name into racing here in Florida.

The rules for the division that I am interested in has some limitations.

1970 or later, 108 inch wb or greater, 358 CI stock engine, original body (steel or fiberglass), stock rear end placement..........

There are more rules of course but.....

What do you people think I can race? What fits the bill?

Lizzard

You didn't state what type of racing....
    But for asphalt that fits closest to 108 inch wb+ in 1970 or later I found:

The 1970 Javelin wb is 109.9 in.
    1970 Rebel is 114 in.
    1971-74 Javelin 110 in
    1974-78 Matador Coupe 114 in

Circle track racing. 3/8th to 3/4 mile asphalt.

Specifically at New Smyrna Speedway and Orlando Speedworld.

Most cars are Chevy Monte Carlos due to their abundance of parts yet I would love to show up with a fast Javelin painted RED WHITE and BLUE!

How about engines? The 360 would need a 2bbl carb (holley 4412).

I can't help much with Circle Track racing. I can only say that the 360s are good engines and they are readily available. And that the Matador Coupe tangled with Monte Carlos in NASCAR. You'd have a heck of time with Matador Coupe parts though. The 71-74 Javelins parts may not be in the budget either. I may see your best option - the Hornet - its wheelbase is 108in. It'd sure stand out in the crowd and parts are easier to come by. From the info I'm looking at it's the lightest of the cars listed too.
    Last edited by Big Bad AMX; 10-27-2004 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Hornet wb

I race my amc spirit locally on a circle track in Idaho. Alot of the competition are Ford Mustangs and Ford Pintos in my 4 cyl class. My car if very fast because I have the largest motor out there and its a very stout little car. It really pisses me off when people come up to me after the races and ask me if its a pinto! You can get away with a lot of things in circle track racing because youre suppose to keep the car"stock" but the track officials dont deal with these cars often so they have no clue what comes stock on them. You can basically get away with murder if you meet the weight specs such as a rear sway bar, ect..

Lucas Hutto
    AMC Racing #26

My uncle owns an old Javalin that at one time was a racecar and needs a motor/trans. If he doesnt want to fiddle with it he might sell it cheap we just built my little cuz an amc hornet circle track car.

Just saw your post today. I've had a 70 Hornet in the works for a few years. It will make it to the track in 06. The rules I have to go by are similiar to yours except we can use a Ford 9in. and that's what i've got. I used a front cross member off of a matador, I left the right lower arm mounting holes stock and relocated the left holes toward the center so I have about -7 deg. camber on the right and +3 deg. on the left. I've circle track raced since 92 and helped since 90 and have a few wins but in Chevys and Nissans; but this coming year is going to be a uphill battle because there is very little info on circle track racing AMCs, maybe we should share information.