Thread: Disc Brakes?

Hybrid View

Default Disc Brakes?

I just recently purchased a 1967 Rebel 770, it has a 390 with a c-6 transmission. the car is in very good shape, but it has 4 wheel drum brakes, i was wondering if there is anything compatable with the rebel so i could at least have disc brakes on the front. thanks Clint

I think the spindles from a later AMC will interchange. There is an article with info re disc brakes interchange on the Eddie Stakes website.
    BTW. I believe your trans would be a Borg Warner torque command.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/ has the disc interchange article.
    Take care of that Rebel!

Thanks for the article, i'm currently trying to find the block casting numbers, i'm trying to figure out what the 390 is from, and as for the tranny, i haven't had time to try to identify, but i was told it was a c-6, any clues to identifying the tranny? Clint

If its a c-6, it will say FoMoCo on it somewhere. The BW will have a tag on its side stating Borg-Warner I believe. If its a c-6, then its a custom install. C-6 is STRONG.

Brakes upgrade:
    http://www.amx-perience.com/American...read.php?t=129

To confirm the correct cid for the AMC V-8 the cid number is cast on the sides of the block in approximately 2" high numbers, they’re located behind (above) the engine mounts.

For Ford BB casting numbers try
    : Gear Head Racing

Look on www.rockauto.com They have a conversion kit for my 68 Ambassador so it wouldn't surprise me if they have one for you.

I believe that all big body cars share the same spindles. So you can use disc brakes from later year Matadors and Ambo's. If that 360 is a '70 or '71 you would have a Borg Warner trans. The internals are very similar to the Ford FMX.