Default 69 AMX Front Spring Installation

I have been having a miserable time trying to get front springs installed on my 69 after doing the front end rebuild.Does anyone have any tricks or techniques to doing this.

How did you get them out? Do you have a spring compressor?

Barron

The car was apart when I bought it so I didnt take them out.The spring compressor I have wont compress them short enough to get them in.

I made my own compressor setup years ago. I took two 1/2x6 blank, forged turnbuckles and put a 90-degree in each end. The strokes of the turnbuckles are 9.5" to 15.5”. These will fit in the upper and lower holes in the ends of the spring assemblies. I ground small slots in these bends where they fit to the springs so they wouldn't slide off under pressure. You want to make sure that the turnbuckle fits up close to the spring for clearance.
    To keep the spring from bowing and popping out while compressed, I made a separate piece to hold the spring straight. Do not compress the springs with out this piece. It’s a piece of flat steel with a long slot. You use 2 "U" bolts to attach it to the side of the spring. The slot in the flat steel allows for movement of the spring, as it is being compressed or released. You want to be very careful when you are releasing the spring, as the bottom piece will not align with the trunion very easily. You just have to release it slowly and keep it pushed inboard to make sure the bottom piece slides all the way over the trunion.
    It goes without saying, but this is a homemade tool, so be careful.
    I'm sure that there is some type of commercial spring compressor out there that will do the job easier. I have never seen one though.

I'll get some pictures if you want.

Pictures would be great, Would you like to rent it out to me and I can send it back when I'm done??Would probably save a lot of time.
    Rich
    253-678-9525

Bought some turnbuckles and the springs went right in.Thanks

Glad you got them in. Did you have something to hold them straight or was it an issue?
    I've attached a picture of mine.

Barron

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compressor.jpeg 
Views:	849 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	6  

Actually they stayed pretty straight and went in ok. I used off the shelf turnbuckles that hooked right into the holes and had enough of a hook not to come out.Thanks for your help.The turnbuckles were the answer I couldnt seem to think of.