Thread: 304 Help!

Unhappy 304 Help!

I have a 74 Javelin with an un-original 304 in it, where do I find the numbers on the block to find out the date. I recently gave it a tune up and some roller rockers. Well I fired it back up and it seemed like there was a miss so I pulled the old Chiltons manual out to see if I had switched a plug wire or two. I put the plugs in that order and now the car won't start at all. The chiltons manual was from 71 and up. I don't know amcs too well so I don't know if the firing order changes after 71. Also I put the roller rockers on because there was a slight ticking and I thought the rocker ball was scored and worn it might be that. After I valve lashed the rockers and buttoned her back up there is still a slit tick. Maybe it was a different problem or maybe I didn't lash the rockers right. Can I open it back up and lash them again or will that make it worse. Some please help, I want to drive her before summer is over. Thanks
    1970 Dodge Charger R/T SE 440/727 (Work in progress)
    1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite 383/727 (Work in progress)
    1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster 318/904
    1972 Buick Skylark 350/350

Hey, I always find something wrong with swapping spark plug connections. To many things to cross.

Here is my quick fix to your problem.

1) Unplug all your wires and sort them out longest to shortest.

2) Check the connector conductivity (Ohm meter or have someone crank the engine with one connection to the distributor and the other touching something grounded (head bolt).

3) After everything has been checked OK, remove the air cleaner and look on the driver side of the intake manifold there will be a firing order cast on top of the intake runner. Write it down and install the air cleaner.

4) No 1. cyl is on the driver side front of the engine. As most wiring diagrams show that No. 1 on the distributer is at the 5 'o clock position looking straight down on the distributor cap.

5) Start connecting each wire taking caution locate them away from the exhaust manifolds.

6) With all that done your car should start as long there is gas in the tank.

7) If it sputters and bogs then you must do a timing check, also it is best to replace the fuel filter and clean the carb... since you have no history with the car at hand.

Default Firing order

I took the firing order off the manifold it is the same as in the chiltons. I was just wondering if a later year 304 say a 68 has a different firing order than a 74 304? Becuase the chiltons manual I have only goes from 71 and up. Thanks
    1970 Dodge Charger R/T SE 440/727 (Work in progress)
    1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite 383/727 (Work in progress)
    1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster 318/904
    1972 Buick Skylark 350/350

Hi, AMC did not make a block smaller than 304 earlier than 1970... All AMC's since 67 have the same firing order. It realy does not make any difference in what year 304 you have. Most buyers don't know jack when they by an AMC. A 304 is a 304 and numbers matching is not a consern unless you have a smart buyer.

Wink Firing order??

The firing order on AMC V-8s are all the same (post 66 1/2). The only problem that it could be is that someone changed the distributor and not put it in correctly. The easiest way to find out is put the engine on top dead center as per the timing mark on the dampner and check the position of the rotor. It should be sitting on the number 1 post on the cap for the number 1 cylinder. Where ever it is sitting, put the number 1 spark plug wire on that post and follow the firing order that is casted in the intake. Often times, people will put the distributor in where ever it will mesh correctly (or incorrectly) with the cam gear and the oil pump keyway. So whoever had the car before probably had the dist. out of the car for whatever reason and reinstalled it wrong. Not really a big deal, just an inconvience for anyone who is trying to work on them