Default Need Encouragement - 1970 AMX restoration

Hello all, I have a 3 year project...1970 AMX restoration. My problem is not skill or money. My problem is motivation. The car is being brought back to its original Glen Green. It is a 390 4spd 4:10 car. It is very solid and I have already done a lot. My problem is I get overwhelmed and then walk away. For example, this week I stripped all the paint off the trunk lip area, and tail light area and the rear body panel. I removed the rear glass and ground off the rust that gathers near the glass clips. I mig welded all small patches wherever I could push an ice pick through. All that is now in filler and waiting sanding. I guess I just need some encouragement. I wish I bought one done but couldn'd find one done at the time and this car was local. Please offer some support.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	7  
    Last edited by PeterMAX; 07-23-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Hi - Well i'm also restoring a 70 AMX 390 4 sp. and I don't have any special skills and this car needs everything. I also thought about spending more and getting a car ready to go but this car has the exact color combo I was looking for so I consider myself lucky. My 390 is out of the car and needs to be completley rebuilt. No interior and the exterior needs to be completely stripped and painted. Little by little does the trick.
    Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 03-05-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Default Thanks Ray

Ray,
    Thanks for the note. I do suspect that there are more of "us" than there are of the "I own a concours....." type, know what I mean? My grille was pretty well shot when I bought the car and wouldn't you know an early Hornet grille fits like a glove? The parking lamps mounted right in. The AMX badge looks natural. But since doing the post I did finish the bodywork on the rear panel, real glass lip and have all the "hidden" areas in POR-15 and they are drying now. I'd like to hear more about your car!
    Peter

Hi Peter - check your pm's

Car projects are never easy, they seem to take longer and cost more than we figure they will. And they are never really done.

Buying them finished is easiest but the advantage you have by doing it is knowing what the car needs fixed, how the problem was fixed, all the parts that have been replaced, all of what hasn't been replaced, who has done the engine/tranny work etc. In the end you'll have a car that you know and can have more confidence and pride in.

It's easier to break it down into sections and complete them one at a time rather than looking at it as one BIG project. Break it down into driveline, body, interior and then break those down to more manageable sections. As each is done you'll see it all coming together and before you know it you'll be out on the road rowing through the gears and turnin' heads.

Along with posting in this forum for suggestions you may also want to take a look at some of the AMXs and stories that have been written by owners in the visitors section at:

http://www.amx-perience.com/xperienceamx15.htm

There's 113 two-seaters posted and reading what others have done and seeing their cars can be a good motivator and a great reminder of what these cars are all about.

Some great pictures there and yes it seems most of them have gone thru some type of restoration so I guess it's all part the deal.

Default 1970 Amx

Sometimes give yourself a break and set up a realistic schedule to follow. Also take pictures of the car before you started. That way you can look back on how much you have done.

I have a problem getting started, then I hate to stop.

I once had a 1970 Mark Donohue Javelin. I kick myself for ever selling it. Now if I ever find another one it'll probably need lots of work.

Remember, things could get worse. I have a '77 Gremlin project going on now and I have been looking for a gas tank for two weeks now.

Should've got another Javelin!
    http://www.upmpg.com/flash/nascarflag.gif'77 Gremlin
    Currently drive a '77 Gremlin
    I have owned:
    '70 Mark Donohue SST Javelin; '72 Gremlin X; '73 Pierre Cardin AMX; '76 Hornet Sportabout

I have a 74 Jav, 360 4sp, 3.54 twingrip.

Lets just say its a Michigan car. In the winter it's not only the moisture, but they use salt on the roads, and that's not too good for the bodies of cars.

Why don't we use sand or calcium chloride (heats up when you sprinkle some on ice) in michigan? Ugh...

The engine also has a nice "gouge" in the cylinder wall of no.1, but thankfully it doesnt burn oil.

I guess the biggest problem with any car work is expectations. One can say it will take some work, but once they get into the job... they find it is not as easy as thought.

As for those of us (Small number) who find it "beyond budget" to restore a correct car... It is easier and less expensive to drop in non stock parts to make things work or as a custom job.

Some who are fortunate get praised and or top dollar for a thought out and well put together car that may not be 50% stock.

Since I am a multitasker I will do things that may not finish quickly but some how finish together. The reason I choose to multi task is part of 3 factors.

1) Money... some needed parts are getting harder to find or are less expensive than others, and not all parts that you may come across will be what you are working on at the time. So if you can look at the car as a multitude of jobs that need to be done, you can plan better by collecting what you need to get all the jobs done. Moral of the story: always look for something that you may need later, sometimes when you least expect it, you may find a deal or two.

2) Time... Not all jobs can be done well without walking away for a while. To much of one thing can cause undo work or even an overlook of the details. Thus when you return to look at what you have done after a week or two of not bothering, you can see with new eye's what may be critical. Plus you may think of new options to correct any issues. Moral of the story: take your time... the best work is done in a methodical and careful manor.

3) Options... sometimes when working on your project you may get a brainstorm. During this moment of thought, you may find other options in putting your car back together again. This also goes back to my first two examples. What I have found through my experiances, is that just about any idea can be turned into reality... as long as you have put thought and a little work behind it. As an example, since I am not AMX person... (I thought) since Ford has recently released round air vents (how cool would it be to have them in an AMX). Could this work? Moral of the story: Always be open minded (nobody will appreciate what you have done or have created but yourself) there are many things that can done easier thinking outside the box. Hint AMC = MOPAR + Ford + GM; Some say you need AMC parts but most small parts have other origins and can come from years past, present or future.