Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '68 AMX radio question

Would the am/fm radio from a '69 Amx be the same as a '68? And, does anyone have one for sale??

Thanx

There's a 69 AM/FM radio on ebay now listed under AMC AMX/Javelin parts for sale. I don't think there's an installation problem between 68 and 69.
    Good luck

As RayG said, The '68-69 AM-FM AMX and Javelin radios are the same. And they're the same dimensions as the AM so if your car had an AM in it it's a direct swap.

The faceplates are the same for the AM-FM and AM radios too.

A used factory AM-FM radio isn't an easy find and they aren't cheap any more, it'll be interesting to see what the one on ebay brings.

Default Radio

Thanks, that is the one I am looking at. If the '68 AMX came from the factory with the AM/FM radio did it have the rear speakers or just the center speaker?? I really like the look of the rear without the speakers and can live without the pavement pounding thud of modern rice burning cars, just need some tunes and such while driving here and there.

Both the AM and AM-FM use the center speaker only. The rear speakers came with the AM 8-Track option.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post the knobs are the same too.

JEEZ!!!! I have paid less for running cars. I hope this doesn't set the market price for these.

Default Radio

Yeh, for $600+ for that radio I can sing to myself? I was going to bid on it but took a closer look and it looked kinda cruddy---guess the buyer will just have it rebuilt for additional $$$$. I think I will just send off my Am and have it converted to FM, have seen a few AMX owners do it and they came out really nice.

Default '68 AMX radio

Just was looking at my past posts and thought I would update this one for your viewing pleasure. I went ahead and had my original AM radio converted to AM/FM. It still looks exactly like it did when it came with the car but now plays AM and FM, but more better yet also came with two RCA imputs to add an outside item such as my Ipod. I have two Fords and two Mercedes and this is the best Ipod connection I have for any of them!! I also added a duel voice cone speaker in place of the original mono speaker. It gives stero sound from the stock location. Cost for the converstion was about $380 and the speaker was about $45 if I remember correctly. Both work great and have the added satisfaction of knowing the radio is equipped with modern internals that will not break down anytime soon and the added Ipod connex is more then I had hoped for.

Could you give us a little more info...like where did you get this done?

I would be very interested in having mine upgraded.

Thanks,
    Fox

Default radio conversionq

This is his website--did great work and only a few weeks turn around--he also sells the duel voice speaker as well I believe although I did not know it at the time and got mine somewhere else.

http://mysite.verizon.net/caradio/stereo.htm