Hybrid View

Default Amx Restoration -concourse Manual For Amc

It is a real shame that the AMO has not put out a book like the MUSTANG CLUBS THAT Tell you how to restore your vehicle to show room/concourse condition.
    thanks for this forum
    hope full that each of us here can place an how to article at least once a month in the forum and we can put it on a disc.

Anyway, what brand paint is the correct for underhood black parts for the amx 1969. I seen eastwood underhood's black > it may be too shiny. I have tried the vendor.
    I was told to use satin black by one judge at the amo. but who's ?

you experts lets start at this stage

Eastwood's chasis black is 60-70% gloss and is 'Concours Correct' for the AMX.

It is a real shame that the AMO has not put out a book like the MUSTANG CLUBS THAT Tell you how to restore your vehicle to show room/concourse condition.
    thanks for this forum
    hope full that each of us here can place an how to article at least once a month in the forum and we can put it on a disc.
    This has been discussed from time to time in years past but so far as I know no one has taken on the project. Keep in mind the Mustang/Camaro/Mopar guys have much greater resources to draw from and a much larger market to supply than we do, which is probably why it hasn't been done in the AMC hobby. A collective effort like you have suggested may be what is needed to at least set the wheels in motion.

Having said that, the other issue is which is preferred; show room correct or Concours Acceptable? There shouldn't be a difference but our limited resources make it very difficult to achieve showroom correct. Maybe each should be noted for the topic being discussed.

I'll make this thread a sticky and hopefully over time it will become a useful and complete resource.

I, along with others I am sure, have asked Brook Pitt ( he restored Dwayne Ashmead's 1970 BBB Javelin ) if he would ever consider doing a book on what he found out while he was doing the Javelin. He told me no.

It would be a good idea to do, but there are so many conflicting reports on what was done to the cars while they where getting built. It would be hard for some to agree with the book ( like the deal with Donohue Javelins only being floor shifted car, which I have know one that is a 360 column shift. And there is the bill of sale and build sheet and original owner to prove it. ).

I believe not a sole author but a contribution that can be added as a chapter. We as AMX owners should help each other. By contributing each to a part to a chapter the book or manual could be written as a group

what about javelin owners, just a 4-seat amx.

Thumbs up Javelin Owners

Yea I have to agree with Chevell on this one. Let's face it, the AMX was the child of the larger Javelin. As far as colors are concerned, I have never been asked or told for that matter about what kind of black paint is good for the car. The fact of the matter is I have not given it much thought. I have been in a few concours type of car shows and have always listed my Javelin as a modified car due to the fact that there are some things that are not factory installed features and that I like on a car. I also have always listed the car as street driven since its the devil trying to keep the car clean up under the thing, heck, I have a hard enough time to keep the exterior and engine bay clean. I have won a few awards for it both on the local level and the national level. But only as a modified (non-stock) car.

I believe not a sole author but a contribution that can be added as a chapter. We as AMX owners should help each other. By contributing each to a part to a chapter the book or manual could be written as a group

Default Concourse Paint

If one is restoring his car, there is a debate on one stage paint vs two stage clear coat paint ?

Which paint is one to use?

Which one will most judges give more points for?