Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amx Restoration -concourse Manual For Amc

It is a real shame that the AMO has not put out a book like the MUSTANG CLUBS THAT Tell you how to restore your vehicle to show room/concourse condition.
    thanks for this forum
    hope full that each of us here can place an how to article at least once a month in the forum and we can put it on a disc.

Anyway, what brand paint is the correct for underhood black parts for the amx 1969. I seen eastwood underhood's black > it may be too shiny. I have tried the vendor.
    I was told to use satin black by one judge at the amo. but who's ?

you experts lets start at this stage

Eastwood's chasis black is 60-70% gloss and is 'Concours Correct' for the AMX.

It is a real shame that the AMO has not put out a book like the MUSTANG CLUBS THAT Tell you how to restore your vehicle to show room/concourse condition.
    thanks for this forum
    hope full that each of us here can place an how to article at least once a month in the forum and we can put it on a disc.
    This has been discussed from time to time in years past but so far as I know no one has taken on the project. Keep in mind the Mustang/Camaro/Mopar guys have much greater resources to draw from and a much larger market to supply than we do, which is probably why it hasn't been done in the AMC hobby. A collective effort like you have suggested may be what is needed to at least set the wheels in motion.

Having said that, the other issue is which is preferred; show room correct or Concours Acceptable? There shouldn't be a difference but our limited resources make it very difficult to achieve showroom correct. Maybe each should be noted for the topic being discussed.

I'll make this thread a sticky and hopefully over time it will become a useful and complete resource.

I, along with others I am sure, have asked Brook Pitt ( he restored Dwayne Ashmead's 1970 BBB Javelin ) if he would ever consider doing a book on what he found out while he was doing the Javelin. He told me no.

It would be a good idea to do, but there are so many conflicting reports on what was done to the cars while they where getting built. It would be hard for some to agree with the book ( like the deal with Donohue Javelins only being floor shifted car, which I have know one that is a 360 column shift. And there is the bill of sale and build sheet and original owner to prove it. ).

I believe not a sole author but a contribution that can be added as a chapter. We as AMX owners should help each other. By contributing each to a part to a chapter the book or manual could be written as a group

I believe not a sole author but a contribution that can be added as a chapter. We as AMX owners should help each other. By contributing each to a part to a chapter the book or manual could be written as a group

what about javelin owners, just a 4-seat amx.

Thumbs up Javelin Owners

Yea I have to agree with Chevell on this one. Let's face it, the AMX was the child of the larger Javelin. As far as colors are concerned, I have never been asked or told for that matter about what kind of black paint is good for the car. The fact of the matter is I have not given it much thought. I have been in a few concours type of car shows and have always listed my Javelin as a modified car due to the fact that there are some things that are not factory installed features and that I like on a car. I also have always listed the car as street driven since its the devil trying to keep the car clean up under the thing, heck, I have a hard enough time to keep the exterior and engine bay clean. I have won a few awards for it both on the local level and the national level. But only as a modified (non-stock) car.

Default restoration concourse or otherwise

I agree with Donsjave that with a car being driven, concourse is out of the question. I do appreciate when I see a concourse car of any make but it is sad to see it pushed into a enclosed trailer. Back to the matter at hand. AMC used so many different part vendors for their cars that things are always just a little different. IE: my brake master cover and booster vaccum fitting. For years everyone said anodized gold for the cover and white fitting for the booster, so thats what I did. Well when I received original pictures of my car they were both black!! So who would be able to say what any of them were supposed to be. I find that flipping through old magazines(60's-70's) hunting for AMC pictures always got me pointed in the right direction but didnt always give me the right answer. So my feeling is that as long as things are close and not overly absured in color(pinks,greens,purples etc..) or chrome then its a job well done.

Talking Restoration Guide will promote the the hobby for ever!!!

Having a restoration guide will help promote our amx or javelins. I understand that some cars were painted with diffirent colors such as on the brake cylinders but we can write everyones experience,so that everyone has the options. For example, we could add some amx/javelian came with all black cyclinders and some were painted gold. That the black paint can be obtained from vendors such as Eastwood or SEM.

We will not be around for ever and not to have a guide to restoration only hurts. New amc'ers may loose interest out of frustration. We may loose what was original and there nothing wrong having a guide. Its a guide not the bible. There are not enough books around. Go to any book store and all you see is Ford, Mopar and Chevy books. Once a while a book by Larry Mitchell

You have to remember this is a world wide restoration. There is no competition for you. I live in California, how many of you are going to compete with my amx or javelin in Los Angeles? Probably little or none. SO PUT YOU EXPERIENCE AND TELL FORD MUSTANG WE HERE TO STAY. add you two cents what you think. all the options should be written down.

Smile Agreed

So happens that I agree with about 90 % of what is being said. No one with the exception of Larry Mitchell (who I know personally) has done any kind of writting the AMC story. From time to time I have to pick his head a little to gain insight into how the cars were actually are and he has always helped me with the nitty details. Too bad that I have not kept track of all the info he has shared with me over the years and I am a lousy notetaker (just ask him). So I will try to think real hard here in the next few days and see what I can come with. I will post it as a reply on this thread. Some may argue about what is correct or not correct, but the info I got came from the very person who should know.