Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1970 AMX - Shadow Mask Process and Borders - Anyone Know?

Hello! I am in the home stretch of refinishing a 1970 AMX 390 4spd. The car will be its original Glen Green when done. I want to shadow mask it because I like that look and also the last time the car was painted they went to great pains to do the engine compartment black Imron and I aknow that I can keep this if I shadow mask it. I have several questions:

1.) Does anyone have a specific brand or color or mixture for this color? I am told the original is very flat and to try to add more gloss...Any thoughts?

2.) What are the tape line borders? It would seem that the top style line from the front fender extensions back to the fender and the the door and up around the "C" of the quarter panel. But then what? Does that tape line continue? If so, where does the black end? Are the windshield posts also shadow mask?

3.) What should divide the Shadow Mask from the body color? Is there a single or double pinstripe?

Thanks for your time and the space. I have found this resource to be very helpful and it is also consistent with what I have learned about the loyalty, humility and friendship that seems to be unique among Rambler / AMC people.

Peter (Massachusetts)

Hi, there was a post earlier on this... It sounds that you want to shadow mask but are interested in a non oem look. If so then an eggshell black will work fine.

If you want oem, it was stated that the original color was hard to keep clean and is stained easy (do not wax it).

If I were you I would try and do the best job possible anything that looks to touched up (better than stock) really shows up poor. So many Javelin's & AMX's have this problem. I guess stock is mostly up to the owner's discression.

Hi Peter - The windshield posts are also shadow mask and the stripe dividing the mask from the body color should be 3/8 inch and silver. If you like you can come take a look at mine as i'm also in Ma.
    Last edited by RayG; 03-04-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Default Pictures I Have Seen

Thanks Ray. Perhaps when I get to that point I can shoot down, I appreciate your offer. I have looked at many pictures at the Kenosha show and it would seem that many Shadow mask cars do not have that very flat color. Most appeared to be gloss. I am down to my hood, deck lid, and lower valence. I also need to finish the wiper grille. Thsi past weekend I epoxy sealed the driver's side and the roof. Why is it that the more I do the more it seems I need to do?

I think most people just prefer a glossy shadow mask but I like the flat black and will keep it that way. There's another shadow mask about a half hour from me and he painted his glossy just because he liked the look and said it was easier to keep clean.

Red face Shadow Mask

I love the shadow mask on the AMX's both flat and gloss. The reason a lot of people went to the glossy shadow mask is because the flat is too hard to keep clean. My guess is that AMC did not do a lot of research on this when they introduced the shadow mask in 1970. The flat black paint that was used would attract about any air borne containament that is around. Even if you would saran wrap the car, there was no way to keep the mask from staining or fading badly. My own personal perference is that of a semi-gloss that can be both be cleaned and waxed on a regular basis.

The flat black paint was also used by Chrysler on their T/A Challengers - both the street cars and Trans-Am race cars. It was said it greatly diminished the sun's reflection and glare off the hood and was easier on the driver's eyes. This was most helpful in the 12 and 24 hour races when the sun was low on the horizon.

Hi - Would anyone know if the flat black paint used for the shadow mask option was the same color used everywhere (inside of the hood and in the engine compartment) and where would I go to buy some. I'm pretty sure semi flat black was used in the engine compartment. Thanks !
    Last edited by RayG; 09-13-2005 at 09:58 AM.

I chose to have the shadow mask a glossy black. I will always like the flat black but since my car might not have a garage the glossy will be easier to maintain.

I have not put the silver stripe on yet that seperates the two colors. Should it be painted on or a decal?

It's a decal but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any ideas ?