Default Javelin 68 v-6 convert to v-8?

I'm currently looking at buying a 68 Javeline with a V-6.

How much of pain would it be to convert a v-6 to a v-8? Do I need to do some major stuff? Like replace the rear-end, crossmembers? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by blk68jave; 08-28-2005 at 09:43 PM. Reason: mis-spell

Thumbs down ....

Nobody had anything to say???

Well thanks for all the input. I bought it anyway.

Hi, just saw the post. what V6 is in it? I didnt think AMC made a V6, at least not in 68.

Default V6

It's a 232/6 if that helps. I decoded the VIN code and it's all correct. I'm starting a website www.thejavelinproject.com. Nothing is there yet, just bought the domain name but soon I'll have some info up if anyone is interested.

The 232 Motor is a IN-line six not a V6.
    Here is a good website that has some good tips on the I6 to V8 swap.
    http://amcforum.net/images/Thing/

Old habbit of putting a "V" infront of things.

By the way. Thanks.

The six rear-end won't hold up to a V-8. For starters you'll need a V-8 crossmember, heavier front springs, rear-end, tranny, tranny crossmember and drive shaft.
    Just a thought but why convert? I know the horsepower is fun but a 232 Javelin is a really hard find anymore. You've got a very, very unique car. I'd keep the six.

Red face 6 vs 8

I all with Big Bad on this one. The inline 6 are getting harder and harder to find these days. You could kind of hop this up a little by using Clifford Research parts. If they are still in business, they use to make manifolds for the inline 6's and the such. I seen one engine in that they used the headers and intake manifold (small 4 BBL) and the car would smoke the tires. I did not ask what was inside the motor, but what the heck, it was a surprising Javelin to see with the 6 cylinder in it

Exclamation

Well, of course we should all know the reason for replacing a 6 with an 8. If I was going to restore this and sell it for some ridicules price like everyone else, I would keep it a 6 and do just that. Not that there's anything wrong with buying the car you've always wanted even when it cost way more then it's really worth, but to each his own.

The car will stay as a 6 until I get the rest of the car in excellent working condition; bushings, weather-stripping, interior, rims and tires, and disc conversion. My desire is to drag race this car for fun on the weekends. If I had the cash and the space, I would love to buy an additional AMC Javelin with the stock V8. But as I mention above, people want ridicules prices for these cars or they need more love then a crack baby found by the side of the road.

By the way does anyone need any Chevy Beretta parts? http://thejavelinproject.com/beretta

Thanks to everyone for their input. As soon as I get my Beretta parted out, sold, and out of the garage. I can start to work on my Jav.