Cool The 73 Javelin Grille

First off, I'd like to take a second to thank you all for your help, especially 'donsjav' and 'Big Bad AMX'. I have only ben a part of this forum for a week, and I have found more information on my 73 Jav, than in the last year I've owned it. Thanks to you all. What I am wondering now is if there are brand new reproduction grilles, or if anyone knows if anyone makes or can make a billet grille for my 1973 Javelin. Mine is in perfect condition, except for the sun fading, and i'd like to have a nicer looking one. (by the way, any tricks to re-blackening the grille I have to look 'new' again?) I appreciate the help. John

Why go with a billet grill? the 73 - 74 grills are simple to restore (they are a milky off white plastic that has been painted black and silver)... they are made of a more durable plastic than the previous years. As for restoring them, believe it or not the black is a flat black or eggshell if you will. The Silver paint is non gloss as for the exact code I do not know but. Like I say to all those looking for matches... a good paint supplier can look up and match from their extensive catalog if the paint is not available.

I appreciate the help, but my grille has some serious fading issues. I have tried to paint it but thre paint does not hold. Is there a secret to dying the plastic? Help me if you can......but thanks for the info. --John.

There is no secret... just go to a auto paint store if near by, or an auto body shop. They'll have proper paint for your restoration. What ever you do don't Krylon it. I have lived in various towns and never had a paint shop or body shop not know what they are doing on painting plastic. You may need to have the grill cleaned up before you spray it though.

Post Plastic prep

SEM has a special prep can of stuff that you use to prep any plastic that is to be painted. The surface has to be clean of any dirt or grease. You simply spray it on (comes in an aersole can) and wait a few minutes for it to do the job. I am not a engineer or expert on what it does to the plastic, but it somewhat softens it up and prepares the surface to be painted. I have used the stuff on interior panels, vinyl, and other plastic type of stuff. I also used it on my grille on my 71 Javie. The paint on my grille has been on the car for 3 years and still looks as good as it did the day I painted it.
    The paint I used was a flat paint (I believe again it was SEM black paint for plastic) and I used model car (silver) paint for the silver outline that on the 71 grilles.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll try these tactics out, and let you know how it went.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by donsjave
    SEM has a special prep can of stuff that you use to prep any plastic that is to be painted. The surface has to be clean of any dirt or grease. You simply spray it on (comes in an aersole can) and wait a few minutes for it to do the job. I am not a engineer or expert on what it does to the plastic, but it somewhat softens it up and prepares the surface to be painted. I have used the stuff on interior panels, vinyl, and other plastic type of stuff. I also used it on my grille on my 71 Javie. The paint on my grille has been on the car for 3 years and still looks as good as it did the day I painted it.
    The paint I used was a flat paint (I believe again it was SEM black paint for plastic) and I used model car (silver) paint for the silver outline that on the 71 grilles.
    I use a product called Bulldog (blue label). You can get it at just about any auto paint store.