Thread: "SPECIAL" AMX'S

Default "SPECIAL" AMX'S

I had a couple questions. As far as I know they made the SS AMX's and the AMX 500's only in 69, but were there any "special" AMX's in 1970? I ran across some AMC's the other day and may be interested in buying one, the guy tried to tell me it was a 70 special edition. I'm a young guy, and I guess he thought I was stupid enough to buy a rotted out hunk of metal for too much, thinking it was EXTRA rare. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm not dumb either. I could be wrong, there might be a special edition in 70, tell me if I'm wrong, because this thing might really be rare!!! Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I do not know of any special edition AMXs made by AMC in 1970. The Big Bad Colors were still available in 1970, with chrome bumpers. But AMC dropped advertising them like they had in 1969. The Shadow Mask option was new and available only in 1970. But that's all that comes to mind.

There may have been some special promotions by an AMC dealer (or zone) that created their own special edition of the 1970 AMX. This is what the 1969 500 Specials were (are) - a creation of the Southern California Dealers Association. Please keep in mind they were not actually 'made' by AMC.

I'd be very skeptical of anyone trying say they have a Special Edition 1970 AMX made by AMC. A dealer promotion car is possible but it'd have to be a well documented car and I'd want to see the original paperwork to prove it.

Good luck and let us know what transpires.
    Last edited by Big Bad AMX; 11-07-2004 at 11:11 PM.