Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face new javelin help!

i just bought my 1st javelin it has no papers it was built 7 1973 would that make it a 74 or a 73? would there be any differences? if so please let me know thanks
    AMC American Muscle Car!!!

i love them AMC door handles!!!

Post Javelin Help

If the car was built in July of 73, then it's a late model 73 Javelin. The 74's would be built (or offered as 74's) in August or early September of 73. Also welcome as a new member here on forum. Also look at the engine tag on the passenger side valve cover ( this coded for the date and year that the motor was built) if it's still there. It will be in the front of the valve cover itself. As far as differences between 73 or 74, there were few differences as viewed from the outside of the car. The only way that I know for sure is to look at the VIN located on the left side lower dash. The second diget should be a "3" which was designate it as 73 Javelin.

Thumbs up thanks alot!!!

i will check the vin# when i get it, i cant wait it needs some work but nothing i cant fix! i seen your javelin pics very nice hopfully mine will look that good someday!

Smile Kudo

Thanks for the compliment on my ride. The secret to this car is that I have owned it for over 25 years and I tried to take care of it as things started to go bad. Someone once asked me how much money I put into it and I could not really say because the money spent has been spread out over the years and I am somewhat a lousy book keeper.

Question it's a 73!

the vin shows it had a 2v 304 the number on the tag on the valve cover says 401H05 does that sound right? is there a web site that i can decode the tag on the dor so i can find the color combo? thanks

Hi, i guess you have a 73 1/2 Jav... I had one too! The tag is for engine specs. I can decode it for a 71 but I think there is a difference for the 73 stamp. It is to give information on the bearing and journal, as for over or under size. Also it is to match to the size of the engine displacement. If the tag does not match the block, the only thing you can do is have the engine rebuilder check when the engine is being done.

The tag is for the 304 engine... just might not be the engine that came with the car. But it does not matter, you cannot tell unless to look at the distributor ID and carb ID. The carb should have a date code tag on the top rear. THe distributor id is stamped on the edge along the cap mounting serface near the vacuume advance. If they match everything is good but it is too much work, unless it will put your mind to rest on the subject.

Most buyers like you would not even know any difference. Since there are many 73 and 74 models an engine tag is trivial.

I would not bother to much in the details the only thing about tags you need to know is... 401's demand the buyer to check all ID's with a keen eye.

It is easy to swap engines from another AMC car and use any tag to match, unlike GM engines which have VIN stamped on the block.

I think the main reason AMC's do not bring in the money is that there is nothing to match drive train with the body. Little documentation to support numbers. And a lack of buyer nowlage. You can practically make a rare or sought after car by cloning one, almost right down to the paper work.

Try the links within this site for:

Paint codes:
    http://www.amx-perience.com/1973JavAMX.htm

Deciphering the valve cover tag on AMC V/8 engines:
    http://www.amx-perience.com/AMXtechP...%20Tag%20Codes

401H05
    4=1971
    01=January
    H=304 2bbl
    05= 5th day of month

Thumbs up thanks alot guys!

its nice to know the size it has, i figured it was a 304 because the 2v carb (which is coming off and being replaced with a 4v!) i am going to see how it runs before i tear it down, its not stuck so thats a good sign! other than the missing radiator, steering wheel, and distributor it wasnt a bad deal for $400!

Thumbs up Tags and the such

Yea, no big deal as far as the engine tag is concern. It's a Javie and that all that counts. In order to be sure of the engine size is check either side of the engine block underneath the motor mounts. In 2 inch numerals it will tell you the cubic inch of the motor. I am not sure, but there is another motor that came with the 2V carb and that was the 360. I'm not sure which year AMC put them in the Javelin if ever. I know that they install them in the Hornets of the same year. Anyway Have Fun with your sled.

Thumbs up one more day!

she is comin home tommarow i cant wait, my first javelin! out of the 27 cars i have had i have never had a "personal sports car"!