Thread: AMC and Mopar

Hybrid View

Post AMC and Mopar

Someone was mentioning that a lot of parts from Mopar will bolt right up to AMC. Is this correct?

Ford, AMC and Mopar used the same bolt pattern on their wheels (in the 60s-70s era). And starting in 72 AMC used the Chrysler 727 and 904 trannys, but the bellhousings and tailshafts are different so you can't pull a 727 out of a Challenger and bolt it up to a Javelin. Other than that I can't think of any.

What about disc brakes from mopar? I've seen a couple of ebay items listed for an AMC and they were from a Mopar.

Yes there are things that bolt right in... a late 60's Mopar B body rear end will just fine. Any late 60's through 70's Ford electric wiper motor will work as a replacement. Mopar lifters will work fine unless your going for the newer type and will need shorter push rods. Early Fords and Mopars use the same Kesley Hays single piston caliper as the 71-73 AMCs. There are many other things that AMC swaped with the big three... Ford pullys, GM smog devices, Ford starting systems, GM starting switch, Ford and Chevy aftermarket rockers, AMC used MOPAR 440 valves as a racing option... there is a booklet on ebay and a nice website that gives some options for crossover parts. Remember AMC used a lot of extras from the big three, but bodies, lenses, interior parts are not enterchangable.

I did make one thing work that is not interchangable... I liked the late 70's MOPAR Magnum side mirors, they are like AMC's but more aerodynamic and mount from inside the door... so that the mounting screws are hidden. But this is my prefrence, for my custom car.

I heard of an AMCer using a MOPAR rod rocker assembly for racing since AMC and MOPAR share the same cylinder spacing. I think there may be a little machining of the head to allow placment and mounting of the bar.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information. Could you tell me what's the name of the site that gives a nice list of interchangable parts? Or if the ebay item is still for sale?

Thanks Again.

The booklet name I do not have but you can alway find it on ebay. Just look for AMC parts book or booklet in the search... I aways find it when looking around... you may have to look once a week.

http://www.american-powersports.com/...ech/amc_pi.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 304_dude
    . There are many other things that AMC swaped with the big three... . Remember AMC used a lot of extras from the big three,.

To change things up a little, how about we all start saying 'The Big Three used alot of AMC extras'?

Default You Bet

Quote Originally Posted by RGBJavelin

To change things up a little, how about we all start saying 'The Big Three used alot of AMC extras'?
    Have to say it. Someone with a sense of humor. Too bad the Big Three did not come with the idea of higher nickle content in their blocks and heads. AMC beat them to it. Just compare engines that have over 100,000 miles on them and tell me who was better. Not too many AMC blocks that you have to ream the ring groove out of.

I know stock chevy 400 pistons fit AMC 360 blocks bored 15 over.

All AMC 290-401 cranks interchange, some work required on the rear pilot hole for manual/auto.

You can offset and cut down rod mains to accept chevy rods. (cheaper)

I have not verified this yet but the part numbers are the same when ordering AMC lifters and 440 mopar lifters.

440 valves can be put into the 360-401 dog leg heads.

GM V8 HEI distributors can be cut down to fit AMC V8s.

Ford 302 high performance rocker arms can be used on the dog leg heads with adjustable stud kit.

Ford has a light wieght high torque starter from mustangs that fit AMC blocks.

The AMC 727 trans can be upgraded using any mopar 727 or lighter 904 guts.

The old vaccume wiper motor can be swapped with the later year electric motors.

AMC spirit or Eagle 2 wheel drive front brake spindles can be swapped into any year, to upgrade brakes.

85 Chevy camero brake booster assembly bolts in to AMC Javelins.

5 speeds from Mustangs and Cameros bolt in place of 3-4 speed AMCs.

I work with a lot of Chrysler Product Engineers an have been told that the late 80s early 90s magnum engines (5.7L) closer resemble the AMC 360 engines that they do the older Chrysler 360 motors. I'm currently looking into fuel injection intakes.

But I agree with what was stated before. Use AMC parts where able.
    In my neck of the woods AMC parts were getting very hard to come by for a while. This is why I had to start scrounging around for similar components. But with the internet now I can have almost any AMC part mailed to my house.

Jim
    Last edited by Dad's 69 sst; 12-07-2005 at 05:28 PM.