Default 71 javelin parts

I am searching for the following for a 71 Jav rebuild.

Sill plates, sun visors - black, dome lite.

Alos having a very difficult time installing rear seat cushion and back along with seat belt recoils. Any position either blocks the cushion from going back far enough or blocks the seat back from coming donwn all the way. Any tricks out there?

2. Default rear seat cushion

i don't have the parts that you mention, but can possibly help with the rear seat cushion. i recently put some sound and heat barriers in the rear, so i went through a bit of what you are doing. i should first say that i have a '74, so there might be some subtle differences with your '71.

here is what i did...
    - installed the back rest first and attached bolts.
    - when installing the bottom seat cushion, i angled the seat at about 45 degrees to ensure that it inserts as far back as possible
    - keeping constant pressure on the seat (it helped to have my son with me), brought the seat down and just before it touched bottom, gave one last shove inward while dropping it down so that the hooks could catch.
    - i missed connecting one side on the first try, but my next push inward and downward did the trick

good luck with yours

Thank you for this I will attempt this method (and employ my son!).

I am unsure as to what position the recoils should be in.

The only way the back cushion will fit over the recoils, is if I have them positioned so the belt comes out the bottom with the bolt in the top hole of the mounting plate.

This allows the seat cushion to almost fit.

Do you recall how your recoils were mounted?

Thx

Post Back Seat Recoils for belts on 71 Javelin

I do not believe that the rear seat belts came with recoils for the back seatbelts. I have a 71 Javelin and I do not have any recoils for the back belts. They (the belts) attach straight to the floor pan and are fished thru the bottom cushion. They then are adjustable thru the strap portion of the belt itself. MY Javelin was built in September of 1970, so I do not know for certain if AMC even installed recoilable rear belts. I also have a 73 Hornet and they do not have recoil rear belts, so to be able to mount these belts, a tech manual may say something about them.
    The parts that you need may be available thru American Performance located in Florida. They use to carry the stuff, but that's been a while ago and I am not certain if they still stock the stuff that you are looking for. Their website is AMC LIVES! at American Performance.com or just type in AMC Parts under the search engine that you are using.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 71jav
    Do you recall how your recoils were mounted?Thx
    my '74 did have belt recoils, but i honestly cannot remember how they were mounted. i'll be breaking down the interior again in a couple of weeks and can take some pics for you if you are still having trouble. sorry i can't be of further help.

It would be great if you could send me a pic.

I think the question is whether the 71 had recoils or not in the rear. I cannot work around them so at this point I have rear seat cushions installed with the recoils out.

There is a threaded opening behind the rear window - possibly for a shoulder strap assembly.

??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Rear shoulder belts

Quote Originally Posted by 71jav
    It would be great if you could send me a pic.

I think the question is whether the 71 had recoils or not in the rear. I cannot work around them so at this point I have rear seat cushions installed with the recoils out.

There is a threaded opening behind the rear window - possibly for a shoulder strap assembly.

??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    To the best of my knowledge, there were no provisions for shoulder belts in the rear. I am not sure in what you mean by threaded opening behind the rear window??? Sorry. AMC did not install shoulder belts for the rear seat passengers. If the 71 did have recoils, please post a photo of them, just that I have had my 71 Javelin for over 25 years and I was the second registered owner of it, and when I did my restoration of the car, the interior was one the first things that got done. I had no recoils for the rear belts. The only recoils that I am aware of was for the front seat passengers. Along with a belt that attached to the side of the roof (interior) at about the end of the quarter window. The strap was held in place or looped around a retainer that slipped into the headliner area. Then it was reattached to the buckel end and stay that way. This maybe the threaded part that you are talking about and if this sounds right to you, then it would be for the front shoulder belt.

Thanks for the reply.

When I took out the rear seats the recoils were there and functional.

I purhased replacement seats which are identical in size to what iwas there and that is when the problem started with the fit.

Again ...... no recoil position will allow the seat cushions to fit.

The threaed hole I am refering to is I am sure what you have pointed out is the shoulder strap attachment for the front belts. It is about three inches below the headliner & 6 inches from the 1/4 window - next to the coat hook.

I have recoils for the front belts but they are belts only.

Doesnt make a lot of sense really. My biggest concern is the rear belts as right now I have nothing.

Best bet I'm sure is to try and locate belts with no recoils for the rear and complete belt assemblies including shoulder straps for front.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help - I am rebuilding this vehicle for my son and want it as safe as possible with a goal to have it on the road in April.

9. Default

my '74 has recoil rear belts and the shoulder seat belts in the front. i have heard that it was not too common of a feature to have the shoulder belts in the front, but that is second hand info. if you would like to see how the shoulder belts are installed, I can post some pics.

Pics would be great.

Direct to my email if easier.

pauld@lincsat.com